Old 02-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Default what a mess :(

Folks, I've been reading through old posts hoping that I could find the
answer (if there is one) to no avail. We only have about a dozen orchids.
All in our little greenhouse which has managed to keep an average internal
temp of 60*f (NW Indiana) and all on the same self-watering tray they have
been on for several years. The only difference this year, was they were
moved closer to the door. Obviously, a Really bad move on my part
Despite the temp being well above freezing, every pot froze solid to the mat
and the plants look just awful. They were immediately moved to the highest
shelf (as close to the heating source as possible), but it's been nearly a
week and they aren't looking any better. At this point, would bringing them
indoors Really do them in, or just leave them were they are? Talk about
feeling sick...
Thanks in advance!
peace...debbie

Old 02-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Gareth Wills

You don't mention what kinds of orchids you have. Recovery will be really
iffy on some, and just a matter of time for others. I'd move them away from
the heat. As long any pseudobulbs are still firm, you stand a good chance.
Phals, paphs, vandas etc are, well....chances are not good.
Good luck. Sorry for heartbreak.
Gary

Old 02-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Steve

Deborah F. Ryan wrote:

Despite the temp being well above freezing, every pot froze solid to the mat
and the plants look just awful.

Deborah, I'm having trouble understanding how it got cold enough to
freeze the pots to the mat if it was well above freezing. Unless you can
explain, I'm thinking you need a new thermometer. ;-)

Steve

Old 02-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Wendy

How very sad Debbie, Did your heating system fail? Not sure how your self
watering tray works but if it were me, I would have a backup heating system
& heating cables.
Keep in touch & I will send you something in the spring.
Cheers Wendy

Old 02-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Thanks Gary. Appreciate the optimistic outlook that there is a shard of hope
for some. I'm pretty orchid dumb when it comes to what species they are.
One for certain is a Lady Slipper, and a know a few are Phals. I've just
always had a hard time pronouncing the names, and trying to spell them would
be even worse. Just came home from shopping and picked up a small reference
book to see if I can identify the others. Soon as I'm able to figure them
out, I'll be sure and let you know. Thanks again for taking the time.
peace...
debbie

Old 02-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Steve, my husband and I have gone over this a number of times, and the only
thing we can figure out is that the seal around the door simply isn't sealed
at all (have a rubber container filled with water plants that froze too, and
yup, right smack next to the door), and where we have the thermometer
located probably isn't the best place for it to be. We *thought* keeping it
at the center of the little greenhouse on the upper shelf would give us a
pretty good idea, but clearly...heat rises...duh. I had moved all the
plants to the lower shelf early last season and it just never crossed my
mind (particularly since we insulated the floor in the Fall) that this would
happen. I do think you've hit on something and Will check the batteries.
Thanks again. I appreciate your taking the time.
peace...
debbie

Old 02-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Thank you, Wendy. It's not likely that the system failed since it's a gas
heater (wall mounted) and is connected the main line to our home. I just
simply screwed up The self watering trays are really handy. Particularly
when you're on the go a lot...as we are. The tray has an insert that a
piece of matting lays on and wicks the water as needed. NW Indiana hasn't
had it's usual -0 temps, but we've had a few nights where it dipped pretty
low. I normally just sit back and read what y'all are up, but figured if
anyone could shed a little hope, it would be y'all. Thanks for everything.
It's very much appreciated.
peace...
debbie

Old 02-02-2003, 11:02 PM
profpam

Hi, Deborah,

I don't understand how they entirely froze while in a greenhouse. While
in Sinapore in 90's, our timer caused a flood to the greenhouse, which
in turn shut off the electricity. Temperatures went down to 33 degrees
F. I only lost a few plants. Your temperatures must have been in the
freezing range for many hours. Yes, I have had a cymbidiums that were
kept outside in freezing temperatures for many hours. Rescuing such
plants is not a precise science; however, you might gradually try
raising the temperature and then applying Captan (a fungicide). Once
the structure of a plant fails there is little hope for it. Sorry to
hear about your experience.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

----------------------------------

Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 AM
michael exler

I get the impression you have very little air movement in your greenhouse?
This alone will give you lots of problems.
next would to better insulate the door.
As far as the plants the damage is done, just watch them close for signs of
rot and remove it quickly so it does not spread to the rest of the plant.
Remember to sterilize any tools and open cuts you make.
In particular Phal's will quickly show damage to leaves, so try to protect
the crown from any spreading rot caused by freezing.
Michael

Old 03-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

I don't know if you recall about two weeks (perhaps three) ago the bad snow
Tennessee had, but to make a long story short, I had to make an unexpected
trip to Alabama. Tennessee wasn't moving at all, and I was stranded. With
everything that was going on, I never gave the little greenhouse much
thought. Our temps took a huge hit during that time. All the other
tropicals seem to be ok, so it Had to be the self watering tray and being so
close to the door. Which, as of last night we covered with plastic. Thank
you for the tip. I'll defiantly look into it. This morning they are looking
even worse, but I'm not giving up.
peace...
debbie

Old 03-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Could you be a little more specific with regards to air movement? We do
keep a fan going during the heat of July, but it never occurred to me that
it would be necessary during the winter months. I'll surely keep in mind to
keep things sterile. So far what damaged leaves that needed to be removed, I
did by hand. Probably not a good thing, huh? Thanks for taking the time. I
really appreciate it.
peace...
debbie

m...

Old 03-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:05:24 -0600, "Deborah F. Ryan"
wrote:

Could you be a little more specific with regards to air movement? We do
keep a fan going during the heat of July, but it never occurred to me that
it would be necessary during the winter months. I'll surely keep in mind to
keep things sterile. So far what damaged leaves that needed to be removed, I
did by hand. Probably not a good thing, huh? Thanks for taking the time. I
really appreciate it.
peace...
debbie

Debbie -
You need to keep the air stirred up in there to circulate the
heat you do have. This will help keep the area from having
pockets of hot and pockets of cold. So out with the fan.
Your Orchids sound much too wet for winter. Most want to dry out
between waterings even in the summer. To keep the mix wet all
the time causes it to sour and rot faster. Keep the damaged
plants out of sun and let them dry out. You need to find out what
is going to live. I would take the mix off to find out if the
roots are mush. Put the plant and the tag in a clean dry pot to
examine again in a day. Spray with Physan to stop fungus rot.

SuE
Old 04-02-2003, 02:11 AM
michael exler

Hi Debbie,
Air movement is a key element needed for most epiphytes.
Often over looked, it will solve a lot of problems such as root rot,
freezing, spider mites and low humidity.
Most of them (epiphytes) are attached to trees that recieve lots of wind and
breeze,
allowing them to dry and keeping most nasties like fungus and bugs away.
Now I am not saying you need a wind tunnel, but there should not be any
stale air allowed for any length of time.
A simple fan will work at night, with more air movement during the day.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
thanks,
Michael

news

Old 04-02-2003, 03:44 AM
Gene Schurg

Deborah,

I keep my two fans running 24 hours a day. There are times it feels like a
hurracane in my Greenhouse but it does really help.

The plants get tougher too because of the natural air movement they have in
nature.

About the only time I turn the fans off is when I'm working out there on a
sunny day and I want it to be quiet or want to listen to music.

Good Luck ... I hope your plants can recover.

Gene

Old 04-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

SuE, thank you so very much! I have a small fan that should work perfectly.
Time has gotten away from me, and I didn't realize that we leave this Sunday
for two weeks. I can see I have my work cut out for tomorrow (no extra pots
on hand and only one small bag of orchid mix), *and* I've already
commissioned a friend to come over daily to keep an eye on things. Where
would we be without dear friends? As much as I'd like to pull my hair out
over this, there's No doubt I have learned a great deal. Thank all of you
Very Much!
peace...
debbie