Old 02-02-2003, 03:32 PM
news

Default Indoor Lighting-System

Hi to all,

I live in NYC and I'm growing in my apartment a considerable number of
orchids. This hobby is becoming more and more intense for me. So I decided
that it is time to install an artificial lighting system. Could you suggest
sources where to look for them? Because it would be placed in an apartment,
an aesthetically pleasant design would be a plus.

Please share your expertise.

Thank you.

Old 02-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"news" writes:
orchids. This hobby is becoming more and more intense for me. So I decided
that it is time to install an artificial lighting system. Could you suggest
sources where to look for them? Because it would be placed in an apartment,
an aesthetically pleasant design would be a plus.

Please share your expertise.

I picked up mine from http://www.ils.no/. The site is norwegian only,
I am afraid. You want the menu on the main page which reads
"Display/effekt belysning", then "230V"/"230V-Spotlights/3T
strømskinner". Have a look at "Spotlight Millennium HQI". I have a 75w
now, plus 5x50w of halogen spots on the same rail, which keeps my phal
and epidendrum happy. I am going to visit them again to pick up
something like a 150-250w fixture to keep my vanda and dendrobium
happy - and to save a bit of power. Electricity is pricy in Norway
right now.

You want the rod-formed bulbs (Rx7s), not the bulb-shaped ones
(G12). They yield more light for the same wattage.

These kinds of lights are used in supermarkets, usually in the veggie
department. Ask your local supermarket who does their electrics, then
call them. They can either help you out themselves, or point you in
the right direction of a vendor.

A 75w HCI bulb is far too bright to be comfortable in an apartment. I
run mine from 7am to 5pm with a simple timer. It isn't on when I am
here. People say you should consider changing the bulb once every
year. The bulb costs something along the lines of $30 here.

You don't want to know the price of the fixtures with all the
trimmings.

Geir
Old 02-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Karen

news wrote:
Hi to all,

I live in NYC and I'm growing in my apartment a considerable number of
orchids. This hobby is becoming more and more intense for me. So I decided
that it is time to install an artificial lighting system. Could you suggest
sources where to look for them? Because it would be placed in an apartment,
an aesthetically pleasant design would be a plus.

Please share your expertise.

Thank you.

These should help get you started. However, a pleasant design is not
guaranteed.

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/

http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com/

http://www.orchidmall.com/

Karen

Old 03-02-2003, 01:50 PM
g g

There are many systems available based on space and pocketbook.
I used a Net search engine to find, "growing under lights" or "plant lights"
or something like it. In our (NYC) area there is Garden World outside
of Queens and Smith & Hawkins in Great Neck who carry some fixtures.

George

Old 04-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Gene Schurg

News,

Aesthetics are a tough challenge for most light systems. After all plant
lights don't lend themselves for mood lighting.

You could assemble a rather nice system yourself from off-the-shelf parts.
There are a series of shelves all based upon the same idea that are made of
wire and sold by Home Depot, Target, Container Stores, Lowes, and others.
It is made of four poles of lengths to 72 inches and shelves are 18 inches
by 36 or 18 x 48 inches.

They come in chrome (more expensive), white and black. They are often used
in restaurant kitchens and are very nice looking. One of the manufacturers
is InterMetro.

I have been using them for years and have constructed quite a set of them.
I use them in the house as well as the greenhouse. They are indestructable!
You can add wheels and make them mobile.

The four feet long shelving units are the perfect length for two standard
shop lights that happen to be 4 feet long. They can hang from chains from
the shelf above. This type of lighting is perfect for Phals, Paphs, and
Phrags. You would have difficulty blooming higher light plants with this
type of lighting unless you have some natural light to suppliment the setup.

If you wanted a "brighter" light you could move to Metal Halide. These
units are very bright. A 400W unit would light a plant area of about 4 x 4
feet with the light 4 feet above the plants. The problem is that they
generate a lot of heat and might be a bit difficult to live with in an
apartment.

To keep the water from dripping on the floor you may want to look at trays
available to sit a washing machine in. They sell for about $18-20 at Home
Depot. Add some nice stones to fill the tray and sit the plants on top and
you have a nice display that also adds humidity to the area when you allow
some water to remain among the stones. These trays are a bit large (30
inches x 28 inches) and may require two of the Intermetro shelf units bolted
together.

Of course for more money you could buy a nice Warden Case or a plant stand
from one of the major suppliers. I know Carter and Holmes offer some nice
"indoor greenhouses" but they get very expensive.
www.carterandholmes.com

I hope this gives you some ideas. Let us know how you make out.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 04-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Gene Schurg" writes:
Aesthetics are a tough challenge for most light systems. After all plant
lights don't lend themselves for mood lighting.

True, but most light fixtures have a switch. It would be nice if
Someone(tm) could make a 240V 400w MH fixture which looked nice when
it was switched off. I am perfectly happy to run the lights during the
day when I am not at home.

Most 400w fixtures are ugly, IMHO.

Geir
Old 04-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Rob Halgren

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

"Gene Schurg" writes:

Aesthetics are a tough challenge for most light systems. After all plant
lights don't lend themselves for mood lighting.

True, but most light fixtures have a switch. It would be nice if
Someone(tm) could make a 240V 400w MH fixture which looked nice when
it was switched off. I am perfectly happy to run the lights during the
day when I am not at home.

Most 400w fixtures are ugly, IMHO.

Geir

I don't know about that... Hydrofarm's MH lights aren't hideous.
If you like white boxes. If you don't like white boxes, you could
hide it in a drop ceiling. I'd make sure that there was plenty of
clearance at the top of the fixture, and on the sides, but you should be
able to put ceiling tile right up next to the bottom/light side of the
fixture (or maybe leave a 1/4" reveal). Might want to invest in the
optional fan/venting kit for the light, to reduce heat buildup. Or, if
it is in a plant stand of some sort, box in the height of the fixture
with some sort of attractive lumber, leaving the top open. Center mount
fixture in box (leaving good clearance!!). You could add some of that
4x2' ceiling light grid (egg-crate?) to the bottom of the box. Does
that make the mental image?
For what it is worth, in my old house I had 400W MH fixtures nestled
right up against my basement ceiling (hence my living room floor). This
cooked some of the oil out of the hardwood and discolored it a bit (live
and learn), so I lowered it an inch and tucked some fiberglass
insulation between the light and the ceiling. Worked fine after that.
Top of fixture will get _hot_, so be careful out there.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 04-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Rob Halgren writes:
I don't know about that... Hydrofarm's MH lights aren't hideous.

Granted. They are also 120 volt without a "CE" marking, which makes
them less than ideal in Europe.

I see there are people dealing in hydrophonics in the UK as well. That
might be a way to go, with a 3-phase mounting kit from my local
lighting pusher.

If you like white boxes. If you don't like white boxes, you could
hide it in a drop ceiling. I'd make sure that there was plenty of

White boxes are ok. _Large_ white boxes are not.

Top of fixture will get _hot_, so be careful out there.

What I really, really want is a smallish 400w MH fixture with an
integrated ballast hanging in chains from my 3-phase track.

I don't think I will get one. Some people seem to think 400w fixtures
are something people use outdoors.

What would happen to my phal if I placed it under a 400w MH fixture,
by the way? Instant death? The livingroom covered in phal foilage?

Geir

Old 04-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Dave Sheehy

Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: News,

: Aesthetics are a tough challenge for most light systems. After all plant
: lights don't lend themselves for mood lighting.

: The four feet long shelving units are the perfect length for two standard
: shop lights that happen to be 4 feet long. They can hang from chains from
: the shelf above. This type of lighting is perfect for Phals, Paphs, and
: Phrags. You would have difficulty blooming higher light plants with this
: type of lighting unless you have some natural light to suppliment the setup.

: If you wanted a "brighter" light you could move to Metal Halide. These
: units are very bright. A 400W unit would light a plant area of about 4 x 4
: feet with the light 4 feet above the plants. The problem is that they
: generate a lot of heat and might be a bit difficult to live with in an
: apartment.

MH is as efficient (or marginally more efficient) *per Watt* as fluorescent
lighting. MH seems hotter since you are typically working with higher
wattages in the first place and because flourscent bulbs are longer and
spread the heat over a greater area.

You could step up to VHO lighting too. It has the advantage of distributing
the light better due to the length of the bulb. MH is more of a point source
and suffers from small areas of peak intensity that fall off rather rapidly
as you radiate outward. OTOH, some MH bulbs (e.g. the Iwasaki 400W 65K)
have a demonstrated longer useful lifetime than other bulbs. For example,
after a year's usage the Iwasaki bulb output has typically only declined 5%
or so. In comparison, VHO bulbs have a typical usable life span of 9-12
months.

Another candidate would be any of the many CF systems that are available. If
you're inclined to DIY then there is a type of CF bulb with the brand name
Fluorex that comes in a 65W size and a 65K color temperature (i.e. lots of
PAR). They are sold for use outdoors and places like Home Depot carry the
bulb and fixtures.

For sources of different lighting systems check the various suppliers for
the reef aquarium hobby such as:

www.sunlightsupply.com Sunlight Supply Inc.
http://www.ahsupply.com Aquarium Hobby Supply
http://www.aone.com/~pfolight/aquarium.htm PFO Lighting
http://www.premiumaquatics.com Premium Aquatics
http://www.aquaticlight.com A.L.S - Aquatic Lighting Systems
http://www.championlighting.com Champion

Dave

Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Rob Halgren

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

Granted. They are also 120 volt without a "CE" marking, which makes
them less than ideal in Europe.

I see there are people dealing in hydrophonics in the UK as well. That
might be a way to go, with a 3-phase mounting kit from my local
lighting pusher.

Missed the UK connection. If I recall properly, Hydofarm
and Sunlight Supply ballasts are switchable (internally) between several
line voltages (240V included). Perhaps other vendors have a similar
option, you might ask if it isn't immediately apparent. I thought they
were CE listed (although maybe that is just the bulbs, come to think of
it). UL listing isn't sufficient in Europe? *grin* I've seen some neat
reflectors as well, they aren't all white boxes. There is an
interesting parabolic reflector available from at least one vendor
(link:
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/hortic...ectors_h.shtml)

What I really, really want is a smallish 400w MH fixture with an
integrated ballast hanging in chains from my 3-phase track.

I don't think I will get one. Some people seem to think 400w fixtures
are something people use outdoors.

Plenty of Hydroponics shops in the UK. Try them. They know better.
Good place to spend a chunk of change. Not just for pot-heads anymore.
Any indoor orchid grower should have a good relationship with at least
one hydroponic shop. My guy knows me by name.

What would happen to my phal if I placed it under a 400w MH fixture,
by the way? Instant death? The livingroom covered in phal foilage?

You need to calibrate the distance. Right under the lamp, instant
death... Three feet away? Probably about right. But, if you are
worried, you can get smaller MH systems. I have a 100W, two 200W and
two 400W in my grow room right now. With an 800W dual HPS/MH in a box
(I'll get it up eventually in another room). The 100W would be
excellent for a smallish plant table (3x3' for phals, probably). I used
two 200W to illuminate a 4x8' bench in my old house. Come to think of
it, I had two more lights under that bench, I wonder where they are
now... Hmm....

Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Rob Halgren writes:
I see there are people dealing in hydrophonics in the UK as well. That
might be a way to go, with a 3-phase mounting kit from my local
lighting pusher.

Missed the UK connection. If I recall properly, Hydofarm

Norway, actually. Right now, we have 7 hours of daylight here. No
quite enough for anything.

it). UL listing isn't sufficient in Europe? *grin* I've seen some neat

It is until the house burns down.

death... Three feet away? Probably about right. But, if you are
worried, you can get smaller MH systems. I have a 100W, two 200W and
two 400W in my grow room right now. With an 800W dual HPS/MH in a box

I already have a 75w fixture. I was told that it would be far too
bright for everything in a room people wanted to stay in.
He was wrong. It is now mounted 50cms from my ascocenda, and I am
still only at 10k lux.

Geir
Old 04-02-2003, 10:04 PM
kenwoodward

I have phals directly below a 400w MH unit without any problem. Of course,
they are 4' below and in the shadow of other orchids above. You can't waste
the shadow areas cast by the higher light orchids.
________________
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net

Old 06-02-2003, 04:43 AM
tbell

I agree entirely about the shelves and shop lights, in which I use one each,
warm and cool white,
48" fluorescents. Certainly more economical if you're not looking for high
intensity lights.

For trays, I'd recommend Humidi-Grow trays from CMI plastics, in Cranbury, NJ.
They are the
perfect width for the shelves Gene described, and come in several different
lengths. They have
a removable "egg-crate" framework for plants to sit on above the water, which
eliminates the
weight, algae and mineral deposits which tend to accumulate on gravel or stone.

I've had good luck blooming Phals and Odonts on these.

Good luck,
Tom