Old 26-05-2004, 06:07 PM
William Hill

Default Several words to the wise

I was browsing websites of Orchid Vendors and came upon one that says:
guarantee: ALL PLANTS SOLD AS-IS NO REFUND. As it happens I know this
person--have observed them many times--very light on integrity !!!
However this is not to pick on him (he picks on himself by his
actions) But rather, it is to say: I have been growing & selling
orchid plants for 30 years & have never even contemplated buying
plants from anyone who won't stand behind them!!! When we first
started --My guarantee was: 100% customer satisfaction! Several people
told me I would lose my ---, by giving such a guarantee. After 30
years, I did find one "bottom feeder" who tried to take advantage of
us (did in fact for a while). I know once a plant leaves your
place--you have no control over it's care--GIVE CARE INSTRUCTIONS !!
There will be folks who have problems--HELP THEM TO GROW ORCHIDS !!
(that's what it's all about) If you buy a plant from a vendor who
says: " ALL SALES FINAL" NO REFUND" remember "I told you so" G If
you click on "TERMS" on my website (www.orchidislandorchids.com)
you'll see we say after 7 days we evaluate on a case by case basis
(LAWYERS MADE ME DO IT) I can tell you we PROMPTLY RESOLVE ISSUES BY
REFUND OR EXCHANGE!!! Good Growing, Bill
Old 27-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Ray

That's pretty much my policy, too. Besides, it's the "helping others" part of the job that makes it
worthwhile for me.

In the 10 years I've been selling on the web, there have only been a handful of folks I've had
problems with:

One guy emailed me complaining that the plants he bought "a couple of weeks ago" were infested with
insects. In fact, the purchase was over six months prior, so when I pointed out that 1) I haven't
seen a bug in my GH, and 2) a lot can happen in 6 months, he was thrilled just to get some guidance
on getting rid of the critters.

A recent one was a goodie: someone ordered some plants, but when filling in the order form, "forgot"
that he had recently moved, entering the old address. Fortunately, the new resident refused the
shipment so I could get it rerouted (at my expense).

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 29-05-2004, 03:04 PM
dd

In article , Ray
wrote:

[...]

The plants that I've bought from Ray have arrived in PERFECT condition
and free of insects and disease. They've consistently been a good
value, too. I've also ordered from other on-line vendors and have had
very good luck with the plants I've ordered.

The only "buggy" or diseased plants I've purchased have been from Home
Depot and orchid society auctions, with orchid society plants being the
biggest source of problems. I'll never buy an auction plant again
unless I know who grew it!
Old 29-05-2004, 04:04 PM
John DeGood

dd wrote:
I'll never buy an auction plant again unless I know who grew it!

Orchid society auction purchases provide very revealing insight into the
growing skill and care of one's fellow members. My society's auction
was earlier this month:

- The plants donated by several of our best members were in fresh,
quality fir bark mix and so well-grown that I am still in awe of their
condition. I feel almost unworthy to have them in my collection! :-)

- Other members donated plants in badly decomposed bark mix with roots
in advanced stages of decay. They will require a lot of TLC to resuscitate.

- The remainder fell somewhere between these extremes.

One paph that I purchased appeared to be in fresh bark mix. It turned
out to be the one most in need of repotting: a thin veneer of fresh
bark had been added to hide the horribly decomposed gunk in which the
roots were actually submerged.

John
Old 29-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Kenni Judd

I am sorry to report that last time I went to AOS HQ for judging, very
similar signs were prominently displayed all over its "Orchid Emporium."
Being the cynic that I am, I have to think this had something to do with all
the Miltoniopsis they had for sale [most labelled only "Miltonia Hybrid"].
It was so bad that a usually very staunch AOS supporter was standing near
the cash register telling people "Don't buy that, it won't live here!"

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

[...]

What's in season, veggie-wise? whit Texas 1 11-03-2004 04:05 AM
PC wise here? Homefinders Permaculture 0 06-12-2003 07:12 AM
Why do grapes crack wise? Cereoid-UR12- Plant Science 5 31-07-2003 05:03 AM
FS: Water-Wise Gardening (New book) Kevin Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
FS: Water-Wise Gardening (New book) Kevin Lawns 0 10-01-2003 03:32 AM