Old 29-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Marzie_Cat

Default Phalaenopsis Orchid Question

Lo all!

While in a DIY store this evening, I happened across a rather sad looking
pot plant in their garden area. I felt so sorry for it I bought it and took
it home. It is labelled as Phalaenopsis Orchid.

The root ball is sat upon the soil in the pot and the flower stalk and heads
are supported by a stick. It has leaves at the base.

While its not exactly at Deaths door, its probably somewhere in the same
town as Death's house.

Should I re-pot it? Feed it? Some advise would be really appreciated!

=^..^=

Old 30-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Marzie,

Let me be clear - the plant is in flower now? And when you say that the
plant is sitting on top of the medium, is it really out of the pot, or are
some roots out, but not the whole root ball? What condition are the flowers
in? What is the medium in the pot? If you can tell us the answers, we can
be of more help.

For a general *starter* rule, if you are growing the plant inside, try an
eastern window, preferably with a curtain. Phals don't like bright
sunlight.

Diana

Old 30-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Marzie_Cat

Diana,

1). The plant is in flower - therde are two flowers on the end of itsn stem.

2). The plant is in the pot, but sat on top of the compost in the pot - its
the stake holding the stem verticle that's keeping it in place!

3). The flowers are in a good condition.

4). The medium in the pot looks like moss and bark.

Many thanks for your help Diana.

=^..^=

ink.net...

Old 30-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Kenni Judd

If you think the plant is heading towards Death's house, go ahead and cut
that flower spike off -- it is taking energy that the plant needs to put
into new roots and growth. If you put it in water, the flowers will last
almost as long as they would've on the plant.

Repot into fresh medium -- moss and bark is not a bad choice for Phal.
potting mix, but it decays fairly rapidly and so needs to be replaced pretty
much every year.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 31-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Diana Kulaga

Marzie,

Some more info for you. Kenni is right that if the plant is suffering you
ought to cut that spike off and repot. But, is it suffering? How do the
leaves look? Are they firm?

If you repot (and I probably would), remember that the 'moss' in question is
spaghnum moss. Soak it in warm water to soften for a couple of hours before
using. Your goal is moist but not soaking. Water when the plant when it
begins to dry out, but for a Phal don't let it go completely dry. Feed with
a balanced fertilizer (one that is readily available is Peters 20-20-20)
"weakly weekly", i.e. 1/4tsp. per gallon of water. Always water in the
morning, and keep water out of the crown of the plant to avoid rot.

Enjoy your Phalaenopsis, and welcome to orchids!

Diana