Old 30-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Chicago
Lightbulb De-flasking Paphs

I am about ready to buy my first flask and after reading the info out there on the "Breaking of the flask" I had a idea I had not seen so far in anything i have read. I intend to try it rather than the methods I have seen so far. I thought I would share this idea here as a sounding board and see if this sounds good to anyone else. I intend to cover the outside of the flask in one slightly overlapping layer of tape. Making sure its sealed to the glass surface as well as possible in all spots. I am planning on using the thin clear 2 1/2" wide packing tape available at most drug and dollar stores. And then place in a bag and tap with a hammer in a couple of places to break it. Which should allow me to use a razor blade to slice down the tape in the breakage seams and fold back the broken pieces with no loose shards ar at least they will for the most part get caught by the tape. Hope this helps someone it sounds like a sound idea to me I HATE HANDLING BROKEN GLASS. This should make it easy to deal with and dispose of with minimal mess and handling. Sorta like making laminated glass.
Just a novice orchid grower here.......
Old 30-05-2004, 04:05 AM
doug houseman

Default De-flasking Paphs

I use a glass cutter to score the glass first. I normally put a ring
around the bottle about 1/2 way up if it is a tapered flask and then one
that goes from the neck around the bottle (across the bottom). This
normally means that my flasks break into 4 pieces cleanly. I still do
the tape on the outside and put it in a bag to strike it, but I can use
a softer strike and get results. Most hardware stores have glass cutters
for under 10 dollars.

Doug

--
bigfuzzybear1
Bil Wood

Flasking Facilities John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 03-01-2007 02:47 PM
For Sale: Orchid Supplies / Grow Light / Orchid Flasking Supplies (Medfield MA) [email protected] Orchids 0 13-04-2005 03:51 PM
Orchids For Sale- Plants, Compots, Flasks, Supplies, Flasking Stuff, Grow Light Ken Koellner Orchids 2 30-09-2003 11:42 AM
Steam flasking! Dave Orchids 5 27-08-2003 09:32 PM
JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood Larry Dighera Orchids 14 02-07-2003 04:20 PM