Old 02-02-2003, 03:43 PM
IiSpankyii

Default Watering equitants

I would like to grow Equitants, (Tolumnias) under flouresdent lights, and was
wondering about the watering. My humidity is low, maybe 30% range, and temps
are around 75 with the lights on. I have read that you water these plants
early in the day, so the roots have time to dry out before evening, or else you
risk the threat of rot. It just seems to me that with my low humidity, the
plants would probably lose more water during the day than they absorbed during
the morning watering. Would watering twice a day compensate for that, or not?
Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Tolumnia really don't like wet feet, especially when they cool.

Grow them either mounted or in small, empty clay pots, as close to the
lights as you can without burning. If you water more than once per day, do
so early in the morning, and certainly no later than whatever time allows
them to be dry by lights-out.

I would recommend finding a way to increase your humidity level, as it's
better for all your plants and you.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 05-02-2003, 03:48 PM
David in Liverpool

I have one of these in a small plastic basket high in a warm fairly humid
greenhouse. I don't think I've watered it this year yet as they seem happy
with only an occasional water. I agree that increasing your humidity is a
good idea and wouldn't recommend watering twice a day, cheers, David

Old 09-02-2003, 08:55 PM
jimwatts

It just seems to me that with my low humidity, the
plants would probably lose more water during the day than they absorbed during
the morning watering. Would watering twice a day compensate for that, or not?
Any ideas?

I agree not to water twice a day. If you look at the leaves, they
are covered with a sort of waxy like substance. This helps prevent
water loss during the day, they do most of the metabolism at night in
another water conservation measure.
In nature, they get very little dew, and rain every day in summer
during growth season, but often once a week in winter when dormant.
They have adjusted to minimal watering, so no need for twice daily.
One of the main species in hybridizing, Tol. guianensis, comes from
arid areas with little rain and usual humidity of 30-50%.
I've got about 50-60 now in spike, and hoping the other 100-150 soon
catch up!! I'm in south florida, so I don't even have to water daily
when in growth, but mine get rain and 80-100% humidity during the
summer. These and leafless are my two favorite types!

jimwatts

Equitants & Tolumnias wendy7 Orchids 5 03-05-2005 11:54 PM
equitants tbell Orchids 2 08-02-2004 09:56 PM
equitants tbell Orchids 0 06-02-2004 06:19 AM
equitants tbell Orchids 0 06-02-2004 06:19 AM
equitants tbell Orchids 0 06-02-2004 06:19 AM