Old 31-05-2004, 02:04 PM
S.Dunlap

Default ID HELP: New orchid aquired

S.Dunlap wrote:
I've aquired a new orchid and need help identifying it. We live in
Honduras so this hopefully will hlep narrow the species down

somewhat.
Photos are located at this website

http://www.geocities.com/westie97/ho...neworchid.html

Sandi Dunlap

Steve wrote:

Now cut that out. You've placed some double hibiscus flowers into
the foliage of another plant that could be an orchid but I can't
tell for sure.

Steve

I added two more pictures that show most of the plant and root system.
The entire plant is about 18 inches long.
Old 31-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Al

Thank you for the close-up of the flower showing the stamen with the anther
and pollen as well as the pistil with the stigma clearly visible. This
really helps with the ID. Could you please post a close up of the flower
"stem" where it connects the plant, if possible? This is more important
than you can imagine for a proper ID.

Would you believe I think I found a new orchid too? Apparently they are
everywhere.
http://www.orchidexchange.com/Photos/newone.htm

I just dug this one up in the forest outside my home here in Leesburg
Virginia. Clearly it is not a hibiscus! While it doesn't have as many
petals in the whorl as yours it is obviously similar and the two probably
will be eventually classified in the same genus. I am sure they will have
to give this genus name and since, alas, you were the first to discover it,
I suppose they will name it after you. You can probably ask the taxonomist
to name the species after you too. May I suggest Dunlapsis hibiscoidus? I
will ask them to call mine Dunlapsis aliensis. We are going to be famous!

I plan to auction mine on Ebay. What will you do with yours?

Al

and "S.Dunlap" wrote in message
om...

Old 31-05-2004, 06:03 PM
bb

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:59:14 -0400, "Al" wrote:

Thank you for the close-up of the flower showing the stamen with the anther
and pollen as well as the pistil with the stigma clearly visible. This
really helps with the ID. Could you please post a close up of the flower
"stem" where it connects the plant, if possible? This is more important
than you can imagine for a proper ID.

I bought a couple bird of paradise plants a few years back. Each one
had a couple of silk flowers in the pots. I had the dang things
planted in the ground for a week before I realized the blooms were
fake. My neighbors got a few good giggles at my expense on that one.

bb
Old 01-06-2004, 02:07 AM
IiSpankyii

Al, please use the 'Buy It Now' feature on Ebay so I can just skip the waiting
and buy that sucker right away. It would be a great addition to my collection.