Old 01-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Ebthtr

Default The leaves on my Phal

Hi
Have several different phals that I bought at various times & places last year.
They are now starting to to rebloom and look gorgeous! Except one. It was cut
back last year and kept in the same place as the others and nothing is
happening. The leaves have a soggy withered feel to them and a dull green
color. It got the same treatment as the others. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:07 AM
IiSpankyii

Check the roots. Sounds like its suffering from root rot.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Ebthtr

Thanks so much! Didn't think of that one!

Another question...I have two phals in one pot and they are reblooming all over
the place, really gorgeous. One of the plants is starting to have the same
symtons on one lower leaf. I'm guessing not to disturb it until all the
flowers have all dropped?

Is this preventable? I don't overwater, and they don't stand in water.

Linda

"Sounds like the mix on it went bad and you did not repot. Knock
it out of the pot and check the roots. Cut all mushy and rotten
ones off with a razor blade you can dispose of afterwards. (be
careful when disposing) Treat the cut ends with cinnamon (the
spice) then pot up in fresh mix. Keep shaded in a humid area and
water sparingly for 3 weeks. It will take its time to recover.
SuE

Old 01-06-2004, 02:18 PM
J Fortuna

Linda,

Lower leaves on Phals tend to turn yellow and wilted. That's normal. Leaves
do not live forever. As long as your Phal also grows new leaves from the
top, don't worry about leaves that are yellowing on the bottom.

How many leaves does this plant have? Have you had it long enough to have
witnessed a new leaf growing on this plant? if so, how long ago was the last
new leaf? How long has this plant been in flower?

If the plant has been in flower for a very long time (for example 6 months),
and you have had it all this time and it has not had a new leaf in this
time, and the total number of leaves is only 3 or 4, then you may choose to
cut the flower spike and put it in a vase instead, since you would want your
plant to concentrate on growing a new leaf. But if it has grown a new leaf
in the last 4 months, and it has at least three other leaves, then do not
worry about it, and just wait and watch out for a new leaf from the top.
Most of the time Phals will start a new leaf right after flowering, and some
of mine start a new leaf before they are done flowering.

Best,
Joanna

Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Ebthtr

How many leaves does this plant have?

There are two separate plants in one pot.

Have you had it long enough to have
witnessed a new leaf growing on this plant?

I had this specific duo since Christmas. One of the plants has a new leaf
growing which gives it a total of 3 leaves. I had cut the stem back and there
is a new stem growing from the side of the old one and there are six buds (?)
waiting to blossom.

It's "potmate" has never been cut back. It had six blooms when I first bought
it. They have since fallen off and now there are four more flowers in bloom
with another four on the way. There is also an extra branch coming out from the
side with six buds on it. This plant has a total of 4 leaves and never has had
a new leaf since I bought it.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Linda