GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cattleya blooming (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/631-cattleya-blooming.html)

jim 03-02-2003 03:12 AM

Cattleya blooming

I have a LC Irene Finney which I bought in bloom last spring. It had
a grown a new pseudobulb with sheath but for 2 or 3 months never
showed any signs of blooming. Then lots of root growth started and I
decided to repot it as it was in a clay pot with the last bulb right
up at the edge (and low in the pot) and I was afraid the next bulb
might get stymied trying to grow. Within 2 weeks of repotting, buds
are visible growing in the sheath.

So the question is... would it have bloomed anyway or did the
repotting shock it into action??

Susan Erickson 03-02-2003 04:43 AM

Cattleya blooming

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 04:22:57 GMT, "Jerry Hoffmeister"
wrote:

my guess is it would have bloomed anyway but who really knows...

"jim" wrote in message

Clip........... Then lots of root growth started and I

decided to repot it as it was in a clay pot with the last bulb right
up at the edge (and low in the pot) and I was afraid the next bulb
might get stymied trying to grow.

As to the bloom I will not speculate. As to the fact the new
growth would have gotten into the wall of the pot, or the roots
grown over the pot edge and made repotting later a worse job. I
can testify about those problems. I have one now with horrid out
of pot root-its. The roots look like they should belong to an
Ascda. It will be a real challenge to repot in warm weather. It
is going to require an extended soak to try for pliable roots and
then probably pout for an extended time because so many will be
damaged anyway.

Some catts like to sit in sheath for extended periods of time.
Most of the time the sheaths later develop, but some do not.

SuE

Ray @ First Rays Orchids 03-02-2003 09:38 AM

Cattleya blooming

It probably would have bloomed anyway, but I think many plants do that just
so they can instill some sense of concern in their owners, out of fear that
the repotting will cause the buds to blast. Sort of an orchids' practical
joke.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Geir Harris Hedemark 03-02-2003 09:55 AM

Cattleya blooming

(jim) writes:
So the question is... would it have bloomed anyway or did the
repotting shock it into action??

Good question.

I have had four phals in a row that have died within two weeks of
coming in the door because they were in desperate need of repotting. I
just don't seem to handle orchids potted in halfway rotten media very
well.

I repotted the last four orchids I bought immediately (There was this
sale, see...) when I got them. By "repot" I mean picking the media
carefully off the roots, removing the rotten roots, and replanting in
a SH culture. They were blooming, and I figured that half of them
would drop dead immediately. No such luck. I now have a significant
number of orchids which have dropped a leaf or two (because of the 15%
rotten roots they all had, perhaps?), but they are still blooming, and
they need more light. _Now_. *grumble*

I don't think a careful repotting is all that bad for the orchid,
especially if it didn't like the old media very much.

Never satisfied, am I? Oh well.

Geir