Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
J Fortuna

Default question re cut orchid spike

I have just cut the spike of one of my orchids to give the plant a better
chance at recovering. The flowers on this spike are quite beautiful and I
would like to enjoy them as long as possible.

Any advise on how to treat a cut Phal orchid spike so that it does not wilt
for as long as possible?

I assume that changing the water in the vase frequently would be a good
thing, but how frequently?

Should I add fertilizer to the water? Should I add anything else to the
water?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is good to keep scraping the
bottom of the flower stem when changing the water, or something like that?
Is that correct?

Does light matter to a cut spike?

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Ray

Treat them as any other flowers:

Recut the stalk under water, and that's it.

I have heard that adding aspirin to the water helps, but I've no experience to share...

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I have just cut the spike of one of my orchids to give the plant a better
chance at recovering. The flowers on this spike are quite beautiful and I
would like to enjoy them as long as possible.

Any advise on how to treat a cut Phal orchid spike so that it does not wilt
for as long as possible?

I assume that changing the water in the vase frequently would be a good
thing, but how frequently?

Should I add fertilizer to the water? Should I add anything else to the
water?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is good to keep scraping the
bottom of the flower stem when changing the water, or something like that?
Is that correct?

Does light matter to a cut spike?

Thanks,
Joanna

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM