GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to re-pot an Oncidium? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/63197-how-re-pot-oncidium.html)

Ebthtr 08-06-2004 04:31 PM

How to re-pot an Oncidium?

Have an oncidium that needs to be re-potted. One end of it is growing up and
far away from the bark. Please advise. Thanks!
Linda

GaWd 08-06-2004 04:32 PM

How to re-pot an Oncidium?

You can just pile a little more bark where the Pbulb is growing up and away.
I have 2 new growths that are doing this and I plan on doing just as I
suggested-piling up a little bark under it to encourage better rooting.

But when will I get around to it is the question? :-]

Sam

Kenni Judd 09-06-2004 06:37 AM

How to re-pot an Oncidium?

If your humidity is not too low, a lot of these "climbers" do very well
mounted, rather than potted.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

nojunk@this_address.com (Mike Pearson 09-06-2004 06:37 AM

How to re-pot an Oncidium?

Kenni Judd wrote:

If your humidity is not too low, a lot of these "climbers" do very well
mounted, rather than potted.

Absolutely. I have an Oncidium sphacelatum that I unpotted and divided
a few years ago; it was always wanting to climb out of the pot and
wander, so I mounted 3 separate pieces. One is on a slab of cork that I
keep vertical; one on cork that I keep horizontal; and one on a tree
fern slab that is usually vertical. They reside in different areas of
the greenhouse.

All 3 are in full bloom right now, and all are *very* happy. I have
seen no real differences between the spikes or flowers among the 3
different mounting techniques.

--
Mike - Seattle, WA - Northwest Orchid Society
http://www.nwos.org