Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
James Aldridge

Default unidentified orchid in bloom - link to photographs

Hi. Can anyone help me identify this beautiful orchid that is in about
min-bloom here in my Texas greenhouse. It was given to me by a friend.

The flower spikes are over a meter in length. Photos at this link show
both flowers and leaves:

flowers:
http://www.jamesaldridge.com/public/...orchid1web.jpg

leaves:
http://www.jamesaldridge.com/public/...orchid2web.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Jim
Old 08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Rob Halgren

Schomburgkia, maybe? Kind of looks like one, but I couldn't tell you
which species.

Rob

James Aldridge wrote:

Hi. Can anyone help me identify this beautiful orchid that is in about
min-bloom here in my Texas greenhouse. It was given to me by a friend.

The flower spikes are over a meter in length. Photos at this link show
both flowers and leaves:

flowers:
http://www.jamesaldridge.com/public/...orchid1web.jpg

leaves:
http://www.jamesaldridge.com/public/...orchid2web.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Jim

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM
wendy7

Hi there James & welcome. Your plant & flower look just like my
Schomburgkia tibicinis?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Eric Hunt

James,

That's an easy one - Myrmecophilia (nee: Schomburgkia) tibicinis. One of the
easiest (if you have the space!) and prettiest Schombos/Myrmecos to grow.

It was reclassified in the last 10-15 years into a new genus due to the fact
that the pseudobulbs are hollow and in the wild, ant colonies form inside
the hollow bulbs - sort of a symbiotic relationship. Even in the greenhouse,
a big plant of M. tibicinis can become colonized by yard ants.

Nice flower!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 09-06-2004, 06:36 AM
Kenni Judd

Schomburgkia for sure. Schomb. tibicinis, likely, or possibly brysiana.
The differences in these two species are, to my eye, rather minimal, but you
can find good pics of each at http://www.orchidspecies.com/ to help you
decide which. The text description mentions two differentiations, but my
eye could only pick up the one in the column.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 16-06-2004, 06:02 PM
James Aldridge

Thanks to you all for the ID help. It's nice to be able to put a name
to this beautiful species.

Jim

Rose photographs Bob Roses 5 03-11-2003 08:22 PM
Any one know a link to calculate a weir width for a fall I can't find my link. Mickey Ponds 2 16-08-2003 03:22 PM
Horticultural Photographs Geoff Bryant United Kingdom 1 26-06-2003 10:08 AM
Horticultural photographs Geoff Bryant Plant Science 0 25-06-2003 11:09 PM
Horticultural photographs Geoff Bryant Australia 0 25-06-2003 11:09 PM