Old 03-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Light levels

Right. I now have the following orchids:

1 small vanda, won't bloom for two years or so
1 ascocenda
2 cambrias
1 dend.
1 phal.
1 large epidendrum
3 small epidendrum keikis, now on their own.

How much light do these need/want? I will be trying to give the
vandaec... vanda-like ones 20k lumen, but what about the rest?

All of them, less the vandas, are blooming right now. Joy.

Geir
Old 04-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Karen

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:
Right. I now have the following orchids:

1 small vanda, won't bloom for two years or so
1 ascocenda
2 cambrias
1 dend.
1 phal.
1 large epidendrum
3 small epidendrum keikis, now on their own.

How much light do these need/want? I will be trying to give the
vandaec... vanda-like ones 20k lumen, but what about the rest?

All of them, less the vandas, are blooming right now. Joy.

Geir

My Vanda's are light hogs. The more the better. The ascosendas are right
behind them in their need to for light.

I do not grow epidendrums or cambrias so I can't help you there.

My Dens seem to take a lot of light also, though I cannot tell you how
much I throw at them.

Phals do not seem to need as much.

No saying this.... This is what works for me. Your mileage may vary
because of your growing conditions.

Currently, with short days in northern hemisphere (Wisconsin in the US)
I am supplementing daylight with HID 450 bulb and almost everything is
getting extra light. My society is having a show in March and of
course I would like to bring something...

Unfortunately only my no-name Home Depot Phal is deciding to bloom.
Karen

Old 04-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Karen writes:
My Vanda's are light hogs. The more the better. The ascosendas are right
behind them in their need to for light.

True. I knew that. I got hold of a light meter last night, and the
various bits and bobs in my flat gets these light levels:

| 1 small vanda, won't bloom for two years or so - 10k lux
| 1 ascocenda - 10k lux
| 2 cambrias - 3k lux
| 1 dend. - 2k lux
| 1 phal. - 2.5k lux
| 1 large epidendrum - 3k lux
| 3 small epidendrum keikis, now on their own - 2k lux.

I guess I need another HID fixture for the vandas, and to move the
dend. to where the vandas are right now.

The problem may solve itself. I had a close look at the ascocenda last
night, and the roots have started rotting.

I do not grow epidendrums or cambrias so I can't help you there.

I found a culture sheet for reed-stem epis last night. They want about
the same light as phals. I am not surprised since it flowered without
any fuss at all.

Unfortunately only my no-name Home Depot Phal is deciding to bloom.

Name it freckles and bring it anyway?

Geir

light levels lannerman United Kingdom 0 26-10-2011 09:05 PM
Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-) [email protected] United Kingdom 8 09-04-2011 04:56 PM
Full spectrum Light,Grow Light etc Oliver Norris United Kingdom 11 09-04-2011 04:55 PM
Fluorescent light vs. grow light michele Gardening 9 13-04-2003 08:20 AM
Low Light Success...with Mod. Light plants Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-03-2003 08:21 PM