Old 05-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Wendy

Default Out of Business Sale

Just thought I would share this with who ever would be interested.
Harry Tolen down in San Diego is going out of business (orchids/plants)

http://www.chulaorchids.com/
If you have lots of patience, he has some great stuff & 50% off!
Tolumnias for $9 some of which are from Peirrara a grower in Hawaii.
He told me he has over 100 customers on a waiting list, so
if you order it will take some time & you may not get everything.
Cheers Wendy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
}{{*
*}}{

Old 05-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Mick Fournier

It surprises me that anyone in the orchid business can even stay "in
business" nowadays.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Old 05-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:58:55 -0500, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

It surprises me that anyone in the orchid business can even stay "in
business" nowadays.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Mick ,
Not to argue with the business is a looser theory, but he was
legislated out. What the law says he did not say. I wondered if
it were an EPA type issue or ...? He is going to continue with
supplies. He also said that the law was passed a while ago and
universally ignored until just recently.

Sooooooooo - CA what is the legal issue?

SuE
Old 05-02-2003, 09:17 PM
K Barrett

There was some discussion on this at teh AOS Forum

I must admit I didn't folow much of the discussion, only that it had to do
with the water quality of water leaving your business premises. Businesses
are required to put only pure clean water into the storm drains. I'm sure
this was enacted in good faith, but small mom and pop businesses just can't
keep up witht he regs. Probably it isn't even the water quality issue that
****ed Harry off. More likely its the record keeping that did. It sure
****es me off to no end in my business, I can tell you that.

K Barrett

Old 05-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Dave Lockwood

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the Ag Inspection people. They are
getting really tight on anyone shipping interstate who doesn't have all the
certs for pests. Even if you don't have the pests they confiscate the
plants and distort them. This wasn't too much of a problem until recently.
The laws were there but enforcement was hit or miss. This is another fallout
of the 9/11 paranoia. Everything is being inspected in detail. FedEx is
just as bad (if not worse) than the USPS.

Old 06-02-2003, 05:56 AM
Reka

"Dave Lockwood" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Even if you don't have the pests they confiscate the
plants and distort them.

Ohmigod, those poor plants!! Do they scream while they are being
distorted?? ;-)
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Old 08-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Wendy

Yes Dave, I think so too. I would pay to see the back yards of the plant
police! I would bet they don't
destroy the confiscated plants.
Just my tickies worth.
Cheers Wendy

Old 09-02-2003, 08:25 PM
jimwatts

Actually, Kathy was correct, nothing at all to do with Ag or postal
regulations.
Harry's problem is stormwater runoff abatement rules and regs. In
essence, Harry would have to build a holding pond for stormwater
runoff so that "debris" doesn't get washed into the sewers and drains.
If you've ever lived at the bottom of a hill, you know all kinds of
stuff can arrive on your property with the rain. The new rules are
aimed at mitigating that, but they seem to go too far.
Harry would have had to spend over $25,000 just for the pond, not to
mention all the other costs involved with surveys and studies and
compliance. As one more straw, it broke the camel's back, so to
speak.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Wendy

Thanks for clueing us in Jim, but Harry will still be selling supplies &
he is one of the few that carries the clear pots.
Harry Tolen's web:- http://www.chulaorchids.com/
Cheers Wendy
om...