Old 13-06-2004, 03:04 AM
styxx374

Default repotting Phal

My phal (very first orchid ever!) is starting to sprout a new leaf AND the
end of the flower spike is starting to branch off. However, I've noticed the
potting mix is starting to look very yucky. Under the leaves. There is also
a couple of shrivelled little leaves underneath the main ones. Should I
attempt to trim and repot? I got it at Lowe's, so I have no idea how long
it's been in this particular batch of medium. Also, the way they had it
potted is in a 4" plastic pot that rests in a clay orchid pot. If I repot,
should I put it in the clay pot only? Thanks.

Old 14-06-2004, 03:04 AM
V_coerulea

I do grow some phals, not my top of the line favorite, but I have some very
nice ones. I've occassionally picked up one from one of the box stores (phal
or dendrob) and the first thing I do is to knock it out of the pot, remove
all "potting mix", remove rotting roots (even if that's back to just a few),
soak in a Physan solution (1 Tbsp/ gal water), and repot in my seedling mix
for a phal or more appropriate mix for a dendrobium. I've rarely lost one
that way and brought along a few nice "prettys" for the house. I don't plan
to propagate them, but they last a number of seasons with larger and more
bloom stems. And that's what you bought it for in the first place, right?
Gary

Old 15-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Ebthtr

Subject: repotting Phal
From: "V_coerulea"
Date: 6/13/04 8:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time

soak in a Physan solution (1 Tbsp/gal water)

What's that?

Thanks
Linda
(newbie)

Old 15-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Xi Wang

Physan is a fungicide. When you trim the roots, you want to make sure
the open wound doesn't get infected with some nasty fungus.

Cheers,
Xi Wang

From: "V_coerulea"
Date: 6/13/04 8:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time

soak in a Physan solution (1 Tbsp/gal water)

What's that?

Thanks
Linda
(newbie)

repotting a blooming phal? Maggie's Mom Orchid Photos 5 05-05-2008 06:28 PM
Phal repotting experiment Peter Ashby Orchids 2 27-10-2003 04:22 AM
repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 10:03 PM
Trunk chop and repotting ss Bonsai 2 30-01-2003 05:37 AM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 05:09 AM