Old 14-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Sinister

Default Oncidium "Wild Cat"

I came accross a pitiful looking \/\/ild Cat at a local garden store. The
pot had no drainage and the roots were suffering. I've already solved the
drainage problem but as far as the damage done, I can only hope that it will
grow out.

Also I'm wondering if you can grow Oncidiums in a grow lite.

I've never grown Oncidiums so any culture tips would be apreciated.

Old 14-06-2004, 02:04 AM
V_coerulea

Generally oncidiums require rather high light conditions. In my experience,
the Colmanaras don't require as much. It's truely amazing how much an orchid
can bounce back from abuse if given a good shot at it. Again, I would
unpot, remove mix. and soak in a Physan solution. I pot mine in a clay pot
with seedling mix of small bark, sponge rock, coir, charcoal + some lime and
micros. After a month, the plant is off and running and may need repotting
again before the end of the season. If the plant was truely dessicated at
the start (no live roots), you may have a more touchy situation. I wouldn't
change much except to reduce watering and cover with an unfastenned plastic
bag in lower light for a while. If it stood any chance to start, it should
be fine by then.
Gary

nk.net...

Old 14-06-2004, 05:08 AM
tbell

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:29:53 -0700, Sinister wrote
(in article et):

Also I'm wondering if you can grow Oncidiums in a grow lite.

I've grown and bloomed two Colmanaras 12" beneath combined warm and cool
white fluorescents.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX