Old 06-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Dave

Default Cleaning greenhouse

Any advice on cleaning the inside of a greenhouse - top, sides and all?

Old 06-02-2003, 08:10 PM
WNeptune

Any advice on cleaning the inside of a greenhouse - top, sides and all?

There AINT no easy way.
I scrub mine down (14x28), twice a year, slap and dash in the spring, and
complete in the fall, by hand, using about 10% bleach and some type of
detergent.
I try and keep it free of algae throughout the year by spraying the glass,
benches and walks every week with one % bleach. AND, good housekeeping all year
long.
I have tried a power washer, but as I have a Lexan liner, it just does not
work.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I have a twinwall polycarbonate cover on my GH, and even though I use a 1%
bleach spray monthly, I find it helpful; to pull out the big guns every now
and then - a pressure washer.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 07-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Gareth Wills

I agree. I have twin wall polycarbonate also but I use Physan or Green
Shield to keep down the monthly mess. Yes, it's more expensive than bleach,
but smells a lot less. I'm not positive, but I think it also has less
detrimental effects on the plants. Physan spray can damage bloom sprays
sometimes, but I aven't had it effect any plants adversely including small
seedlings. Nothing beats a full scrubdown with a disinfectant. You're going
to get plastered with the stuff and I find Physan less irritating than
bleach. To each his own.
Gary

Old 08-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Dave

What effect does the bleach solution have on the plants? Do you just spray
it on or do you also use something to wipe it down? The monthly spraying
interests me.

Old 08-02-2003, 08:01 AM
David in Liverpool

Not sure if your greenhouse is glass or polycarbonate but a good way of
cleaning glass is with newspaper dipped in water with a bit of vinegar added
followed up by newspaper to wipe dry. Print doesn't come off. If it's glass
then you can get the algae out of the cracks using an old credit card. I
also use a hand held hoover to keep on top of smaller stuff.
"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Any advice on cleaning the inside of a greenhouse - top, sides and all?

Old 08-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Over the years, I have used 1% bleach, Zero-Tol, and Greenshield as both a
drench and a whole-greenhouse (structure, benches, plants, floor and all)
spray. Spray it on and walk away.

The effect on plants is to kill algae and pathogens, that's all.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

m...

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
profpam

It seems to me that Physan works well as an all-purpose greenhouse
cleaner. You can even spray your plants with the diluted solution, wash
them off, and Physan will help to act as an algicide, fungicide and
bactricide.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote:

Over the years, I have used 1% bleach, Zero-Tol, and Greenshield as both a
drench and a whole-greenhouse (structure, benches, plants, floor and all)
spray. Spray it on and walk away.

The effect on plants is to kill algae and pathogens, that's all.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

m...