Old 06-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Mark Prout

Default Vacation recommendations

My wife and I are looking for a vacation destination US or Caribbean that
would include an orchid show. Has anyone ever attended the one on Barbados
that's coming up in March? How about the one in Costa Rica? Which are the
best ones upcoming in Florida?

We're looking for one that could take up a day or two ... lots of vendors,
etc.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Mick Fournier

Mark,

In Florida... the Redlands Show is the best by far.
http://www.orchidworks.com/redland/

Mick

Old 06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
D. Wain Garrison

Redlands is good but the Miami Show (Coconut Grove) is better.

--
D. Wain Garrison
If you can read you can learn anything, for

Old 06-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Mick Fournier

D,

Regarding the Miami Show, if you like second rate orchid hybrids then the
Miami Show is great... otherwise it is just one big bore with all it fake
"classy" ambiance, red carpets, elevator music, and overpriced hybrids.

In a real show (eg the Redlands) I prefer to have/see more tables lined with
unusual hard-to-find plants for sale... not space-hogging over-glorified
cheesy orchid displays of pink hybrid phals. But then again that is just my
preference I suppose.

Mick

PS... ever see any new-blood/exciting vendors in the Miami show? I think
not. It is the same old broken down boring (mostly Floridian) vendors year
after year after year with the same old boring hybrids with you-know-who
dictating every aspect of the show and adwarding himself a couple of awards
each year. Yuck.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:19 PM
molli

Redlands in Florida in May.......Weeekend after mothers day! I can't wait,
its my mothers day gift from hubby.

--
Hugs,
Molli

Old 07-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Mick Fournier

D,

I have been to 8 of the last 10 shows in Miami including last year... I know
what I speak about.

You got anything else you want to "slam" me with Garrison? Or, do you want
to really test me?

Mick

Old 07-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Boy, between all the choices he started with, why not suggest Costa Rica?
I'd LOVE to go there. One day...

Old 07-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I also agree. Up here in Seattle, we have the Northwest Flower and Garden
show as well as several smaller shows around as well as our sale. Last year
at the NWF&GS, I could only find 2 plants I was interested in buying that
were being sold at a price I thot was fair. At the smaller shows w/ local
small vendors, I usually have to *try* to control myself and set budget
limits...

"michael exler" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for the insight Mick.
I too do not care for the cotton candy, but prefer the more hard to find.
If I have to decide between the two it will be Redlands.
Michael

Old 07-02-2003, 07:19 AM
michael exler

Well if there is room in the overhead compartment I would go to Costa Rica.
Dont you just hate it when people invite themselves along?
Michael

Old 07-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

hee hee I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a greenhouse and light table full of
orchids to take care of or I'd go... oh and there's the work thing, $$,
vacation time...

Old 07-02-2003, 05:20 PM
D. Wain Garrison

Mick
I've been to the last twenty six. Go occasionally to the Redlands show.
In case you have difficulty understanding, I was giving my opinion to an
other person who asked. I was not addressing you.
Help you self with your test.
I have been raising orchids for sixty three years.
Been breeding orchids for forty five. Have about 1200 orchid plants.
I consider I know of which I speak.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Mark Prout

Thanks to all of you for your input. Didn't mean to open a can of worms. I
was lobbying for the AOS Trustees meeting in Hilo, but with the threat level
up to orange, only a week of vacation (must use before 4/1), and project
deadlines looming, a drivable alternative may be needed. A Florida show
seems likely. Thanks again.

On 2/7/03 10:20 AM, in article
, "D. Wain