Old 07-02-2003, 03:40 AM
Kevin Nguyen

Default Orchids for beginner

Hi,
I am a orchids beginner . Do you know any books recommend or website for
beginner ?

Many thanks,

/KN

Old 07-02-2003, 06:24 AM
michael exler

Try this one out http://www.geocities.com/~marylois/
Its a chat that meets Wed and Sat nights loaded with very knowledgeable
folks.
Consider this a personal invite to visit.
Michael

Old 07-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Wendy

Welcome Kevin, Please stay with us, you can get lots of great information
here.
Someone posted a great site for beginners that showed step by step pics on
'how to repot' etc. ???
I will try to find it.
Also you can look he-
http://www.orchidmall.com/

Cheers Wendy

Old 07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Susan Erickson

"Kevin Nguyen" wrote in message
| Hi,
| I am a orchids beginner . Do you know any books recommend or website for
| beginner ?
|
| Many thanks,
|
| /KN

Kevin -
The best thing you can do is find local people who grow orchids.
AOS's website is http://orchidweb.org/ It does not want to load
for me today. I am sure there is a page that lists local orchid
society contacts. Go to a local growers meeting.

Go to greenhouses that grow the plants and shop for shapes and
colors and textures that are interesting to your eyes. Ask how
these plants are grown. What do they need in terms of
temperature, light, water, fertilizers, rest periods. Any special
considerations. If you find something you like the looks of and
you can meet the requirements of, and the price. Take it home.

Go to your local library take all their books off the shelf. What
one or two make sense when you start to read them? Take it home
and read. Buy the inexpensive paperback 'How to Grow Orchids' by
the SUNSET Editorial Staff. Sit down at your local book store
and look at the selection they have. Start collecting books just
like you start collecting plants. Get one that is a photo catalog
of orchids. Golden used to publish one, I think it is now too
far out of date. But there are others.

SuE
Old 08-02-2003, 12:54 AM
profpam

Kevin,

You might go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase the Ortho paperback or
the Sunset paperback. Both are inexpensive and contain a lot of
information for the novice. Then I would join a local orchid society
and of course AOS, which publishes a wonderful magazine called ORCHIDS.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html