Old 07-02-2003, 09:11 PM
bb

Default root rot

I recently inherited a number of neglected orchids. From what I
understand, root rot is common for orchids that have not been
repotted in a long time, or over watered.

I gather that healthy orchids roots tend to be greenish in color.
Most of these orchids have a decent size root ball but it ranges from
and obvious rotten mass, to a white mass of roots that is brown on the
inside. It would appear what is happening with these orchids is they
are putting out new root spikes that do fine until they reach the old
root mass, then they also rot at that point.

What would be the best method of repotting in this situation? It
would seem that clipping off all the dead and rotting roots up to the
green part would make the most sense. If I do this I end up with a
lot of stubby roots ranging up to about 1" long. Like I said, once
the roots hit the old root ball they rot, so the only decently long
roots are the one's growing outside the pots.

Also, I've heard mention of using cinnamon to inhibit root rot. Would
using a disinfectant specifically for orchids help in killing off the
root rot?

From what I'm beginning to see, I should 've given away everything
except the Vandas.

Thanks for any helpful hints. I didn't plan on getting into orchids
just yet, but just like stray animals, I can't pass up a living
creature in need.

bb
Old 07-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Gareth Wills

Physan is easy to get hold of. A small amount goes a long way. Clip off all
dead roots; soak 10 min; repot in fresh mix with physan treated pot and
you're on your way. I've had rhyzomes without a single root, begin growing
within a couple of weeks. I've had physan take care of erwinia brown rot
too. I'm not a dealer and don't even own stock in it, but I like the way it
takes care of business.
Gary
PS. GreenShield or other generic algaecide (as in pool treatment) seem to
work as well.

"bb" wrote in message
[...]

From what I'm beginning to see, I should 've given away everything

Old 08-02-2003, 03:05 AM
bb

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:53:00 -0500, "Gareth Wills"
wrote:

Physan is easy to get hold of. A small amount goes a long way.

Are you familiar with a product named RD 20, and if so, would it do
the same thing as Physan?

Thanks
bb
Old 08-02-2003, 04:37 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:11:51 GMT, bb
wrote:
I gather that healthy orchids roots tend to be greenish in color.
Most of these orchids have a decent size root ball but it ranges from
and obvious rotten mass, to a white mass of roots that is brown on the
inside. It would appear what is happening with these orchids is they
are putting out new root spikes that do fine until they reach the old
root mass, then they also rot at that point.
bb

Healthy roots are generally silver and stiff or wire like to the
touch generally. There are some that are hair covered. Rotten
roots are wet when you touch them and squish. They may have a
thin stiff wire like center. Take only the squishy ones out.
The newly growing tip or a just watered root are the only ones
which are green. So some of the others in the center could be
good, just old and dirty. Good luck.
SuE
Old 08-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Gareth Wills

Off the top of my head, I believe they're the same or closely related
chemicals and would probably do the same. One orchid site
http://www.kkorchid.com/1chemicals.htm lists Physan 20 as a replacement for
RD20.
Gary

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 09:56 PM
Azalea Root Rot ?? James Nipper Lawns 5 16-09-2004 03:33 AM
Dragon Tree - root rot symptoms? TanQ10 Gardening 5 14-02-2004 12:12 AM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 06:20 PM
Tomatoes vs root rot. Tom Elliott Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM