GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   masdevallia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/658-masdevallia.html)

tbell 07-02-2003 10:12 PM

masdevallia

I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to grow one of everything, without
cultural conditions
to support each of them. One plant in particular has been bugging me for
3-4 years: a
M. Coccinea, which was beautiful and blooming profusely when I bought
it, but has stalled
since. I repotted it with good roots in a commercial bark/perlite mix
one year ago, and have
it at 55-70° under fluorescents, watering weekly and fertilizing with
1/2 strength
19-31-17 (Schultz) every two weeks.
The plant keeps sending up beautiful new shoots, but many of the
older leaves become
yellow or brown at the tips, and it hasn't even thought about blooming.
Can anyone suggest a new tack?
Thanks,
Tom

K Barrett 08-02-2003 12:31 AM

masdevallia

Continue as you are doing, reduce or withhold fertilizer and give it as pure
a water as you can and see if that doesn't reduce (hopefully eliminate) the
leaf tip die back. What kind of humidity is is getting?

K Barrett

tbell 08-02-2003 11:49 PM

masdevallia

Thanks for the response. I haven't measured the humidity, but I have it in the
house, sitting on a Humidi-Grow tray full of water, so I'd guess 40-50%, I mist
it every day or two. I use commercial spring water for watering and misting.
Tom

John G. Talpa 09-02-2003 09:01 AM

masdevallia

Just remember that Spring Water can have higher dissolved solids than even
your tap water. The term Spring Water has nothing to do with its quality.