Old 07-02-2003, 10:14 PM
rick

Default orchid name lookup

hi all:

Where can I find out the parentage of a particular hybrid. I have a Phal.
(Philip De Biase X Venosa) 'A&F' X Phal. Tropic Red 'CO".
I was wondering if it had Phal amboinensis as one of its grandparents and
if it had been registered under some name.

Rick

Old 08-02-2003, 02:30 AM
K Barrett

OK Its spelled Phillipe de Biase - according to Wildcatt BUT!! Don't
necessarily go out and change your tag. The folks at Wildcatt often have
sloppy typing especially where double letters are concerned. You spelling
could be correct. The RHS database would have the correct spelling, as would
Sanders. Anyhoo the parentage is Reichentea x Golden Pride and the species
make up is 50% fasciata 25% amboinensis 25% gigantea

venosa is a species

Tropic Red is speciosa x Sulaceous 50% speciosa, 25% sumatrana 25% violacea

I'll let you do the math on the percentages for your hybrid LOL!!!

K Barrett

Old 08-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:30:07 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

OK Its spelled Phillipe de Biase - according to Wildcatt BUT!! Don't
necessarily go out and change your tag. The folks at Wildcatt often have
sloppy typing especially where double letters are concerned. You spelling
could be correct. The RHS database would have the correct spelling, as would
Sanders. Anyhoo the parentage is Reichentea x Golden Pride and the species
make up is 50% fasciata 25% amboinensis 25% gigantea

venosa is a species

Tropic Red is speciosa x Sulaceous 50% speciosa, 25% sumatrana 25% violacea

I'll let you do the math on the percentages for your hybrid LOL!!!

K Barrett

Rick -
That would be:
6.25% amboinens
12.50% fasciata
6.25% gigantea
37.50% speciosa
6.25% sumatrana
25.00% venosa
6.25% violacea

SuE
Old 08-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

As neither of the ladies answered your second question (jab, jab...), it has
been registered (in 2001) as Phalaenopsis Tropic Wax

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 PM
rick

Would you let me know how I could find out the parentage....what online
resources or software do I need to go through in order to determine a
particular orchid's parentage or to see if it has been registered already or
not.....

thanks again ..

Rick

Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Do it yourself for free: The Royal Horticultural Society Website
(www.rhs.org ?) Often doesn't work.

Buy it and use it: www.wildcattdata.com

Got a few to look up: drop me an email.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:01 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:25:57 -0500, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
wrote:

As neither of the ladies answered your second question (jab, jab...), it has
been registered (in 2001) as Phalaenopsis Tropic Wax

Rick -
What does Phal Tropic Wax look like? Can you post a picture on
ABPO?

SuE