Old 19-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Dave Gillingham

Default Zygopetalum ID

I have posted a photo (large - sorry!) on
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

The plant I bought in a local shop (because of its glorious perfume)
was only labelled "Zygopetalum orchid). I later visited the nursery
that provided it, & saw similar plants labelled Zygopetalum mackayi.

But a text I have read states the species mackayi is uncommon in
Australia (text reference lost). J.N. Rentoul's "Growing Orchids" has
a photo of mackayi which looks very like mine. He also states that Z.
intermedium is very similar ("but over the years the two seem to have
become one and any differences blurred into non-recognition"), but he
has no photo.

"Botanica's Orchids" has a photo very similar to mine, but identified
as Z. maculatum. I can find no other reference to maculatum.

The plant has bloomed in Autumn. The racemes are typically 700 mm long
(about 2' 4"), carrying typically 6 blooms.

Help??
Dave Gillingham
Old 21-06-2004, 01:05 PM
TU

I don't have access to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids so unable to
comment on your Zygo., but I'd say it's difficult to tell if it's a
species or hybrid as many of them look similar. I have seen many Zygo
sold in local nurseries, and my guess is that they are all hybrids.

T U

Zygopetalum! Claude Orchids 17 12-01-2004 10:06 PM
When to re-pot a Zygopetalum? ChrisR Orchids 2 15-08-2003 03:12 PM
Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? Caren Orchids 5 30-01-2003 10:45 PM