Old 20-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Ebthtr

Default How much room is enough?

About a month ago I rescued two phals (in the same pot) which were left for
dead by their previous owner when they had finished blooming. When I took them
home I cut back the stem and now there are new leaves starting to grow. There
are also LOTS of roots are growing out of the pot. Not plump and green,
slightly dehydrated and grey. Other than that the plants look good.

I took them out of the pot to check the roots and they are doing ok. Knocked
off all the old bark and put in moss. I couldn't totally separate them without
doing some root damage so I spread them a little further from each other and
put them in a larger pot.

So they now have gone from a 6" pot to an 8" and I don't know if this was the
right thing to do. The new pot looks so enormus. Should I put them back into
the 6 " pot or leave them in their new roomier place?

Thanks
Linda
Old 20-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Claude

Hello!

You should know that repotting is stressful for the plant. You said that you
did some dammage to the roots when you removed the old medium.
I would letthe plants in this new pot. They will grow new roots and leaves.
You may not have flowers this year but nest year, they will be fully adapted
to their new pot.
What kind of medium did you use?

Claude

Old 20-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Ebthtr

From: "Claude" de
Date: 6/20/04 12:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Hello!

You said that you
did some dammage to the roots when you removed the old medium.

I wrote that I couldn't totally separate them without
doing some root damage so I spread them a little further from each other and
put them in a larger pot.

The roots are fine. I'm concerned about using such a big pot.

What kind of medium did you use?

Moss

Linda

Old 20-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Linda,

If you are sure that these are two distinct plants, I personally would
separate them. From what you wrote, it appears that you were able to move
the two crowns apart from one another, so I am assuming two plants. I use
mostly spag for my Phals, so I'm good with that.

When we repot, it's not unusual to cut some roots. In fact, I generally
give them a trim to encourage branching, so I wouldn't worry to much about
losing the tips of the existing root ball in order to separate these guys.
Then, fit each plant into the smallest possible pot, allowing for some
peanuts in the bottom and enough room for the roots and medium.

HTH

Diana