Old 21-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Reka

Default Ack! Crazy summer!

Is the weather going crazy anywhere else? It is here. I usually get my orchids out into the summer air about mid-May. This year
it was about two weeks later. And since then, I have had to move them inside again for the second time!!! The temps got down to
10°C/49°F last night on the balcony where many summer out, and even down to 15°C/59°F on my sheltered terrace, where I had to move
them to. This is getting to be annoying, especially since I have a Potinara that is budding for the first time and I am waiting
rather impatiently for it to bloom. THAT one stayed in the kitchen for the night!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 21-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:31:04 +0200, "Reka"
wrote:

Is the weather going crazy anywhere else? It is here. I usually get my orchids out into the summer air about mid-May. This year
it was about two weeks later. And since then, I have had to move them inside again for the second time!!! The temps got down to
10?C/49?F last night on the balcony where many summer out, and even down to 15?C/59?F on my sheltered terrace, where I had to move
them to. This is getting to be annoying, especially since I have a Potinara that is budding for the first time and I am waiting
rather impatiently for it to bloom. THAT one stayed in the kitchen for the night!

The 15?C/59?F should not bother them. This is in the range I
heat to during winter nights. You might even get a new spike out
of a Phal.
With the 10?C/49?F I would worry that the actual was lower than
the predicted.

SuE
Old 21-06-2004, 04:06 PM
wendy7

Hi Reka, We have our normal "June Gloom" here in S.Cal. What are the normal
average temps at this time in your neck of the woods.
That is a lot of exercise, taking plants back & forth, but I wouldn't
mind, if I could!
Can you not just throw a sheet over them at night?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 21-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Eric Hunt

Reka,

I agree with Susan. As long as the temps *really* didn't go below about 42
or even 40 -- as long as your plants are dry, there are few hybrids that
will keel over and die.

We can grow a WIDE variety of Cattleya hybrids outside in the Bay Area - and
we go into the low 50s all year round in SF and Oakland. Anything with
Sophronitis in it gets a nice cold tolerance as a side effect. Laelia anceps
can take freezing - so if the hybrid has a recent shot of that, you're
totally made.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 21-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Reka

"Eric Hunt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...
Reka,

I agree with Susan. As long as the temps *really* didn't go below about 42
or even 40 -- as long as your plants are dry, there are few hybrids that
will keel over and die.

We can grow a WIDE variety of Cattleya hybrids outside in the Bay Area - and
we go into the low 50s all year round in SF and Oakland. Anything with
Sophronitis in it gets a nice cold tolerance as a side effect. Laelia anceps
can take freezing - so if the hybrid has a recent shot of that, you're
totally made.

Ack! and I took my guerrero seedling in! Maybe it would finally bloom!
Yeah, I'm not too worried about some. Left the Dens and reedstem Epis out. I was more worried about Phals and Catts. Luckily my
13-year-old son was kind enough to help me and it only took about ten minutes and only one pot tipped over, a Phal I needed to repot
anyway!

Old 21-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Reka

"wendy7" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:brCBc.8719$tC5.2603@fed1read02...
Hi Reka, We have our normal "June Gloom" here in S.Cal. What are the normal
average temps at this time in your neck of the woods.
That is a lot of exercise, taking plants back & forth, but I wouldn't
mind, if I could!
Can you not just throw a sheet over them at night?
--

I don't have any sheets! We use down duvets. Besides, I would need a hotel's worth to cover plants on two balconies, hanging and
standing. My Cym should enjoy the drop in temps. Maybe it will bloom next year!
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

ACK! too wet ! Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 2 11-04-2015 03:50 AM
Aphids. ACK! MissGinger Gardening 3 19-08-2003 02:02 AM
Caterpillars......ACK! ~ Lori ~ Gardening 1 31-07-2003 12:12 AM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM
Is my sunflower dead?!? ACK! Cereoid-UR12yo Gardening 1 27-06-2003 05:56 PM