Old 26-06-2004, 07:06 AM
RM

Default Halogen Lights

I have heard that Halogen lights are not harmful to orchids as long as they
are not too close to the plant. Has anyone heard this also?

RM

Old 26-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Steve

I guess I would have to ask why you would believe them to be harmful
in the first place.

Steve

Old 26-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Claude

They can burn the leaves, I think!

Claude

Old 26-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Steve

They sure could! Most lights can burn leaves, though fluorescent
lights don't burn unless the leaf if right up against them (and
sometimes not even then).
What I was getting at, is that I don't think anyone has found that
light from a halogen bulb is bad for orchids. It is often pointed
out that halogen lights aren't suitable for growing orchids. Not
because of the quality of the light but because they use more energy
producing heat than producing light. They are fine for occasional
use as a work light but for long hours of use as a plant light, they
would waste a huge amount of energy.

Steve (...obviously feeling a little more chatty than I was
before.) :-)

Old 26-06-2004, 06:04 PM
RM

I figured that the lights would use up alot of energy. If they don't kill
the orchids or burn the leaves (the light will be far enough that the heat
will not harm the orchids) then I will use some. I'm doing some work in my
apartment where I will use halogen spot lights in the ceiling to spot light
some of my orchids. Florencents aren't very good when it comes to spot
lighting. The spot lighting is meant to be decorative.

RM

"Steve" wrote in message
| I guess I would have to ask why you would believe them to be harmful
| in the first place.
|
| Steve
|

| RM wrote:
| I have heard that Halogen lights are not harmful to orchids as long

as
they
| are not too close to the plant. Has anyone heard this also?
|
| RM

75w Halogen Bulbs [email protected] Gardening 0 21-05-2009 04:54 AM
Are halogen lights OK? Sarah Orchids 6 23-02-2005 02:31 AM
Are halogen lights OK? Sarah Orchids 0 17-02-2005 07:35 PM
Halogen Lamps for growing indoor plants... Peter Gardening 2 22-10-2003 09:02 PM
Bananna plant + Halogen Light Jason Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:08 AM