Old 27-06-2004, 10:06 AM
samaki

Default Odp: A lesson in moving orchids

Użytkownik Tom Randy w wiadomooci do grup dyskusyjnych
napisał
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:35:34 +0000, J X M wrote:

Don't ever move an orchid unless you are paying
full attention and if it has spikes, think a few times, before so much

as taking
it anywhere near an automobile.

Johnny McIntyre

When talking about orchids and cars, I recently bought a Catasetum
tenebrosum in bloom, the vendor said I should be very careful, not to touch
the flowers because they will explode with pollen and the flower will die
very quickly. So I was walking through the town with the plant in my hand
(imagine all the passers-by looking at me )) ), got into the train and
spend 2,5 hours travelling to my city. Everething was fine until I had to
take the taxi from the station to my flat. While I was trying to board the
car I touched the plant and one of the flowers blasted right into my face, a
piece of it just glued into my nose )). I put it in my flat and then
decided to move it to my cottage, and what ? Of course, when I was putting
it into the car second flower blasted. I think orchids and cars just do not
go together.

greetings from Poland
Martha

Old 27-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default A lesson in moving orchids

Catasetums are notorious for that! Just touch the flower or expose it to
the slightest breeze, and the pollen pops out and poof! the flower dies
quickly. Since I grow outside under screening, and my plants are exposed to
substantial air movement, I don't grow these, lovely as they are.

Diana

"samaki" wrote in message

[...]

Odp: rules on transport of orchids within EU? samaki Orchids 0 18-07-2004 10:03 PM
Odp: Odp: ID needed samaki Orchids 0 28-06-2004 10:03 AM
Odp: A lesson in moving orchids samaki Orchids 0 27-06-2004 10:05 AM
A lesson in moving orchids J X M Orchids 7 26-06-2004 11:06 PM
water testing, and a chemistry lesson rnj Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 20-04-2003 06:23 AM