GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Charcoal Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/67512-charcoal-question.html)

wendy7 28-06-2004 03:04 PM

Charcoal Question

I was wondering, I always do when I repot. *g*
You often hear add charcoal to sweeten the mix.
Would the mix be sour without charcoal?
Also doesn't charcoal act as a filter? Therefore it would attract &
absorb all the nutrients & salts no?
Just food for thought! *g*
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

TRAINMAN9 28-06-2004 05:06 PM

Charcoal Question

I was wondering, I always do when I repot. *g*
You often hear add charcoal to sweeten the mix.

I think it means that charcoal will help prevent musty smells when the bark
breaks down. I have been using it in mixes for over twenty years and have never
had any problems. It does not break down and seems to keep the mix somewhat
open for better drainage.

Dave 28-06-2004 08:07 PM

Charcoal Question

I have always used it because it works as a filtering element for salts and
any gasses. I use it with all my mixes.

Orchidguy 29-06-2004 01:03 PM

Charcoal Question

that is all I pot stuff like Catts. in is Charcole..."seems" to work and
they bloom...so I'll stick with it..
Bright days!
Todd