Old 28-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Paulo

Default Summer in Toronto & Orchids

I have a question, During summer its ok to place my orchids outside?
Any particular recommendation?

--
Paulo

Old 28-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Claude

Hello!

What kind of orchids do you have? Toronto is known to be very hot in summer!

Claude

.. .

Old 28-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Paulo

I have some oncidiums, phaleanopsis, and brassia.
I am not talking to put them under the sun, but how about in a shaded area
in my balcony? ( My balcony is facing northishhh, sun in the afternoon )

--
Paulo
"Claude" wrote in message
Hello!

What kind of orchids do you have? Toronto is known to be very hot in

summer!

Claude

.. .

Old 28-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Claude

Hi again!

You can put Oncisium and Phal in a shaded area but check for sign of
dehydration. When it`s too hot, even in shaded area, water tend to evaporate
faster.

I can`t help you with brassia, I don`t grow them!

Claude

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
| I have some oncidiums, phaleanopsis, and brassia.
| I am not talking to put them under the sun, but how about in a shaded area
| in my balcony? ( My balcony is facing northishhh, sun in the afternoon )
|
| --
| Paulo
| "Claude" wrote in message
| Hello!
|
| What kind of orchids do you have? Toronto is known to be very hot in
| summer!
|
| Claude
|
| "Paulo" wrote in message
| .. .
| | I have a question, During summer its ok to place my orchids outside?
| | Any particular recommendation?
| |
| | --
| | Paulo
| |
| |

Old 30-06-2004, 02:04 AM
John Mallery

I grow nearly all of my orchids outside during the summer and I live in
Eastern Kansas where summer temperatures occassionally reach 100 degrees F.
I use shade structures and have a misting system set up. On days where the
temps reach 100 degrees the misting system is used 4 to 6 times a day for 10
minutes each session. I grow Cattleya, Oncidium, Phalaenopsis,
Paphiopedilum, Dendrobium, etc. I use 50% shade cloth and make sure no
orchids receive full sun. Seems harsh, but the orchids seem to do well as
long as I mist appropriately and keep the humidity up around the orchids...

John M.

"Claude" wrote in message
Hi again!

You can put Oncisium and Phal in a shaded area but check for sign of
dehydration. When it`s too hot, even in shaded area, water tend to

evaporate
faster.

I can`t help you with brassia, I don`t grow them!

Claude

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
| I have some oncidiums, phaleanopsis, and brassia.
| I am not talking to put them under the sun, but how about in a shaded

area
| in my balcony? ( My balcony is facing northishhh, sun in the afternoon )
|
| --
| Paulo
| "Claude" wrote in message
| Hello!
|
| What kind of orchids do you have? Toronto is known to be very hot in
| summer!
|
| Claude
|
| "Paulo" wrote in message
| .. .
| | I have a question, During summer its ok to place my orchids outside?
| | Any particular recommendation?
| |
| | --
| | Paulo