Old 30-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Holy Smoke

Default Help: meaning of Light

I am new to orchids and have been doing some reading. One of the neccessary
requirements for orchid growth is light. What does the word light here mean?
Does it mean that the plant must be in the sun light or just a place bright
enough (though in a shade area) for those plants that require moderate
light?
TIA

Old 30-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Claude

Default meaning of Light

Hello!

thats depens of the kind of orchids you grow! Some likes direct sun, moast
of them likes bright light but no sun and a few like shady places!
Tell us what kind of orchids you or you want to grow and we`ll be able to
help you more !

Cladue

Old 30-06-2004, 04:10 PM
J Fortuna

Holy Smoke,
Even "low" light orchids require some sunlight. For example Phals are low
light, but northern windows are not enough for them to reflower (unless
supplemented by artificial lights) -- an eastern windowsill is better, even
for low light orchids. However, a northern window does provide enough light
for a Phal to continue to survive and grow leave, it just won't reflower
there. I don't know of any orchids that can thrive in the middle of a room
with no sunlight for long periods of time, though it is ok to put the
orchids anywhere while they are in bloom, and put them back to better light
conditions once they finish blooming and need energy for the next year.
Best,
Joanna

Old 30-06-2004, 06:07 PM
K Barrett

You are looking for bright indirect light. Similar to what african violets
bloom in. But it *does* depend on what types of orchids you are growing.
Direct light on leaves will burn them. If you have to err be on the side
of morning light rather than hotter afternoon light (when the plant's somata
are closed) allowing more heat buildup. But this heat buildup can be
diffused by increasing cooling with fans, but then the plant dries out....
so, you see what a ball of wax you can open when you don't have a proper
site in the first place.

Very generally, you are looking for eastern and southern exposures although
orchids can do OK in the heat from a western and southern exposure too.
Northern usually is out unless there is appreciable bounce from a structure
next door.

In general phalaenopsis and paphiopedilums will tolerate less light (more
shade) while cattleyas and oncidium will require more. Not only more
intense light but also more hours of light at that intensity.

There is a good discussion of light and how to judge the proper intensity
and duration in the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids'. If you search
around online you should be able to find a site with instructions on using
your SLR camera as a light meter so you can judge how much light your
location has. I was never able to make that work, but that's not saying
much.

So where does this leave you? You are looking for a bright room in your
house. Something an interior designer would say 'Oh such a nice room, and
good light' about.

K Barrett

Old 01-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:45:26 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

There is a good discussion of light and how to judge the proper intensity
and duration in the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids'. If you search
around online you should be able to find a site with instructions on using
your SLR camera as a light meter so you can judge how much light your
location has. I was never able to make that work, but that's not saying
much.

So where does this leave you? You are looking for a bright room in your
house. Something an interior designer would say 'Oh such a nice room, and
good light' about.

K Barrett

When I was starting - in the dark ages - They used to teach you
to hold your hand about a foot above a plant. If the shadow had
sharp outlines you were in good cattleya light. If there was a
distinct shadow but blurred a bit around the edge it would for
most orchids. Those labeled intermediate as to temp and water
and light. If it was just a haze of a shadow due to conflicting
light patterns and limited light; you knew it was almost too
little for even the Phal.

Also the truth which some hate to hear is that what African
Violets like is the same conditions as what Phal.s love. Many
people know where they can grow African Violets and automatically
include a sheer curtain to avoid direct sun and burning rays.
This same set-up is great for the Phal.

We need to accept the knowledge of our new growers and build on
it; rather than fearing the comparison with another group of
plants.
SuE

Old 01-07-2004, 03:07 AM
Holy Smoke

Thanks to everyone who replied. It has been most helpful to my understanding
of the term light in orchids' literature..

I would like to grow Dr. Anek and Vanda Pakchong. I would like to build a
trellis to hang the orchids and thus am looking a "correct" location.

Thanks once again.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
K Barrett

We need to accept the knowledge of our new growers and build on
it; rather than fearing the comparison with another group of
plants.
SuE

Great point, Sue! For a long time I've been trying to figure out why
gardners have such a blind spot when it comes to orchids. One would never
attempt to grow corn in one's living room without knowing they have to
provide a myriad of proper conditions for it. Gardeners have no difficulty
placing hosta or clematis or cactus or what have you in the right place in
their yard or house with nothing but the vague directions they get from the
label (like USDA Zone 9). So why are orchids so different or difficult?
Maybe the is where the Home Depotization of orchids becomes a good thing.
Making orchids something more accessable to the gardner and less of a plant
only the select few can grow and enjoy.

Personally, I have trouble growing tomatoes, but I can grow orchids. I
can't keep a jade plant alive in my yard, but I can grow orchids. Go
figure.

Well actually that probably supports my point that these plants are easier
than you think, once they are demystified! LOL!

K Barrett

Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
K Barrett

These are vandas and native to Thailand. They will want a warm winter. Not
less than 60F or maybe more like 62F. They will want a humid environment
too, something that can be a challenge to provide indoors. (More than 50%
humidity) and they will want higher, stronger light for a full day at least
(12 hrs). They can take a few hours of direct light (in the AM) but they
will burn too. In places like Singapore and Hawaii and parts of Florida
these can grow outside becasue the temps and humidity are naturally correct.
The rest of us have to modify our environment to suit them, or get a
greenhouse or other set up in which to house them while they grow, then
bring them in to the house when they flower.

K Barrett

Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:34:18 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Personally, I have trouble growing tomatoes, but I can grow orchids. I
can't keep a jade plant alive in my yard, but I can grow orchids. Go
figure.

Well actually that probably supports my point that these plants are easier
than you think, once they are demystified! LOL!

K Barrett

For me the Tomatoes only problem is the cold nights make for a
late harvest. But I can not keep an Ivy alive in the house.
Orchids are much more forgiving, especially Catts and the big
Oncids. (It is the Pbulb and native drought by my figuring.)
SuE
Old 02-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Holy Smoke

Thanks Barrett.

Old 18-07-2004, 08:02 AM
phil tomlinson

The general light requirements of a number of genera a summarised on a
page lon my site -
http://www.angelfire.com/or3/orchids...re/culture.htm

Pn the left index page scroll down to "culture of many common genera".
This information may be of assistance

regards

Phil

Old 18-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Gerard-P

Very handy list. One remark though:

Su for Spring and Sp for Summer

is a bit confusing.

Regards,

Gerard

Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Steve

LOL. I had to go see that with my own eyes. That's what it says all
right.

Phil, you'll have to go fix that some day.

Steve