Old 30-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Vestman

Default 'Tightly' planted Onc.

Hi everyone!

Iīve just bought two giant Onc. (or odont.?) by giant, I mean the bulbs are
VERY big and seem healthy, and there are a lot of roots showing all over the
place. I am assuming they are onc. because they look exactly like my onc.
sharry sweet baby, same kind of leaves and bulbs.

But it is planted in a small pot, 10 cm in diameter. And reading my orchid
books by Rittershausen, they like to 'sit tight', but they seem very
overproportioned, and am worried about watering them too much, because there
isnīt a lot of media in those pots. I thought to leave them alone for some
time and keep an eye on growth. I keep them in a window which gets lots of
morning sun, and they are in a bigger pot with some leca stones on the
bottom to help with the humidity.

Does anyone have any advice as to the growing media and if I should repot?

Thanks,

Victoria

Old 30-06-2004, 08:04 PM
prem_s

Vestman wrote:
Hi everyone!

Iīve just bought two giant Onc. (or odont.?) by giant, I mean the bulbs are
VERY big and seem healthy, and there are a lot of roots showing all over the
place. I am assuming they are onc. because they look exactly like my onc.
sharry sweet baby, same kind of leaves and bulbs.

But it is planted in a small pot, 10 cm in diameter. And reading my orchid
books by Rittershausen, they like to 'sit tight', but they seem very
overproportioned, and am worried about watering them too much, because there
isnīt a lot of media in those pots. I thought to leave them alone for some
time and keep an eye on growth. I keep them in a window which gets lots of
morning sun, and they are in a bigger pot with some leca stones on the
bottom to help with the humidity.

Does anyone have any advice as to the growing media and if I should repot?

I wouldn't repot. It's also harder to overwater plants when they
are nicely rootbound for just the reason you say...there is little
media to remain wet...the roots will quickly absorb the water they
need, leaving the media to dry quickly enough to reduce the likelihood
of rot.

===Prem
high quality orchid stock photos:
http://www.premdesign.com/orchidpics/orchidpicshq.htm

Old 30-06-2004, 10:14 PM
K Barrett

"prem_s" wrote in message
Vestman wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't repot yet either. And when I did I'd use a pot *just* large
enough to accomodate the remaining root ball. Becasue these do like to be
pot bound.

But the idea that a root bound plant won't rot because there isn't any
medium to stay moist isn't true. If there's only roots in a pot (or
preponderance of roots in a pot) and you keep them too wet then they will
rot like crazy, whether there's any medium or not. Rot doesn't depend on
presence or absence of medium. It depends on the amounts of moisture
balanced with air to the roots. So the take home message is to keep the
plant evenly moist, just like any other orchid you have.

K Barrett

Old 01-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Vestman

"Vestman" vestman at adslhome danmark skrev i en meddelelse
. ..
[...]

Thanks for the advice. Iīm going to keep an eye on the oncs and just enjoy
their healthy appearance. I think Iīll see if I can make them bloom, and
then see if I should repot. Itīs quite exciting to see what the flowers look
like, what with the sturdiness of the plants.

Thanks again,

Victoria