Old 02-07-2004, 03:02 PM
DKafkewitz

Default Anyone recognize this paph ?

Below is a link to a photo of a paph now in flower. Does anyone recognize this
flower and can make a guess at the cross ?

The plant was in a college greenhouse and was abandoned and falling apart a
couple of years ago. The plant had no tag. I took a division. (The rest of
the plant was discarded.) This week it flowerered. The leaves are long
strap-like and mottled. Thre are three buds on the spike. The photo is of the
first flower to open. A second bud is not far behind in development.
As I have npo idea what cross this is any help would be apprecited.

Many thanks,

David

Link to photo
http://tecn.rutgers.edu/bio301/paph.htm
Old 02-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Rob Halgren

DKafkewitz wrote:

Below is a link to a photo of a paph now in flower. Does anyone recognize this
flower and can make a guess at the cross ?

The plant was in a college greenhouse and was abandoned and falling apart a
couple of years ago. The plant had no tag. I took a division. (The rest of
the plant was discarded.) This week it flowerered. The leaves are long
strap-like and mottled. Thre are three buds on the spike. The photo is of the
first flower to open. A second bud is not far behind in development.
As I have npo idea what cross this is any help would be apprecited.

Many thanks,

Oh, I'd say it was a rothschildianum hybrid. I'm pretty sure of that,
actually. I'm thinking it could be Lady Isabel (roth x stonei).
Without a sense of scale, it is hard to tell. If it is a primary
hybrid, then you have a not so bad chance of identifying it, most
primary crosses are pretty consistent.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 02-07-2004, 03:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

My guess is that it's probably a lady isabel, most certainly a
rothschildianum "bloodline".

Mariana

Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
DKafkewitz

Thanks for the replies and the agreement. I should have put a ruler in the
picutre. The flower is smallish: 3.5 inches from the top of the dorsal sepal
to the bottom of the pouch. The petals are about 2.5 inches.

David
Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
danny

I don't think that looks remotely like Lady Isabel? And why would Lady
Isabel have mottled leaves? Maybe something like Paph. Mark Hasegawa (roth
x concolor)?
-danny

Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Rob Halgren

DKafkewitz wrote:

Thanks for the replies and the agreement. I should have put a ruler in the
picutre. The flower is smallish: 3.5 inches from the top of the dorsal sepal
to the bottom of the pouch. The petals are about 2.5 inches.

David

Well, unless you are off by about half, I'd say that if it is Lady
Isabel, it is not a very good one. It has been awarded by the AOS
several times, with a natural spread ranging from about 14 cm to 25cm.
Thats about 5.5 inches to around 10 inches.

Find a picture of P. Woluwense or P. Rolfei. See how those compare.

Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Rob Halgren

danny wrote:

I don't think that looks remotely like Lady Isabel? And why would Lady
Isabel have mottled leaves? Maybe something like Paph. Mark Hasegawa (roth
x concolor)?
-danny

Good call... I missed the mottled leaves part. And you are right,
now that I remind myself what Lady Isabel actually looks like... I
amend my guess to be roth x something brachy.

Another validation of the 'always leave the tags in the pot'
principle. Even if you remember what it is, the guy who inherits it
will have no clue.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Germ

It looks more like Platycolor.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...or&btnG=Search

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Dicky

For my own opinion, i do think that could be a primary hybrid which is not
too common. In my analysis, i think its parents could be rothschildianum as
the color of its lip. However, i dont think it is the hybrid between roths
and Subgenera Brachypetalum or Parvisepalum. I have searched for the photos
of some hybrids such as(roths x godefroyae) , (roths x micranthum). Their
petals are broad.

In conclusion, i feel that would be (roths x randsii).

"Germ" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
It looks more like Platycolor.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ycolor&btnG=Se