Old 03-07-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Arid Growing Conditions

All my orchid growing books seem to be generic in regard to areas of the
country and do not speak to the dry, desert-like conditions of the
Southwest. Can anyone give info on a book(s) that is slanted towards
growing under these arid conditions?
" Eljay " would appreciate info

Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 18:40:51 GMT, wrote:

All my orchid growing books seem to be generic in regard to areas of the
country and do not speak to the dry, desert-like conditions of the
Southwest. Can anyone give info on a book(s) that is slanted towards
growing under these arid conditions?
" Eljay " would appreciate info

Best information is always the local orchid society and other
local growers. Humidity is easier to boost if you can control
the area - dedicate a room or have a gh. It is impossible to
raise the humidity of the entire house, but for one room it is
not too bad.
The more plants in one area the more humidity naturally
occurring. That said to raise it indoors you will need a
humidifier. Many orchids adjust to quite low humidity when grown
indoors.

One advantage is the same desert conditions create cool nights
with a natural drop all summer.

SuE
Old 04-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Aaron Hicks

Supreme Commander Harry Tolen (Chula Orchids) put down a little
ditty about orchids that did well in his neck of the woods (Chula Vista,
CA):

http://members.cox.net/lmlauman/osp/...h_orchids.html

There's also the old r.g.o. article on arid-growing orchids that I
archived he

ftp://ftp.nmt.edu/pub/orchids/arid_orchid

Sheri Musil noted that Onc. cebolleta is epiphytic on cacti in
Mexico; however, this is under unusual conditions of humidity and
condensation. I've wanted to try some out here, but not had the chance. I
have them in flask, but I think they'd expire horribly unless they were
gradually acclimated, and I just didn't have the time this spring.

In general, as thick-leaved orchids are CAM plants, most will do
just fine with low daytime humidity. Thin-leaved orchids are another story
entirely.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ