Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 AM
J Fortuna

Default first time double-spike!

For the first time ever one of my Phals is showing activity on two spikes,
both of which it has grown in my apartment. One of it is an older spike, the
other a new one. Before this I had bought some Phals that came with two
spikes, but when they reflowered they would have one spike at a time only. I
feel like this is a major breakthrough. I had already thought that my
conditions were not good enough for double-spiking, but now I got two spikes
of one of my Phals that I have had for 3 years already.

Yay. It's a happy day.

Joanna

Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Claude

Hey Joanna1

I`m happy for you. What are the conditions for double spiking?

One of my DTPS is actuallty triple spiking ( see previous pictures on
ABPO! )

Bye
Claude

Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 PM
J Fortuna

Claude,
Triple spiking! That's wonderful. Congratulations!

To tell you the truth, I do not really know what conditions are required for
double or triple spiking. I know that only more mature, older plants will do
it. But beyond that, I assumed that a plant that has had double spikes in a
previous year when being grown in a greenhouse, and then once it is moved to
my apartment it has only one spike per year, I assumed that this was because
the conditions were not as good in my apartment as in the greenhouse. But I
don't know which conditions -- not enough light? not enough humidity?

Does anyone else out here know what are the most likely causes of a plant
that is definitely mature enough to be in double or triple spike to only
have one spike?

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 PM
J Fortuna

Claude,
I searched the rgo archives, and found the following post from Ray in
response to a question about when a Phal may have multiple spikes:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...giganews.c om
Best,
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
| For the first time ever one of my Phals is showing activity on two

spikes,
| both of which it has grown in my apartment. One of it is an older

spike,
the
| other a new one. Before this I had bought some Phals that came with

two
| spikes, but when they reflowered they would have one spike at a time

only.
| feel like this is a major breakthrough. I had already thought that my
| conditions were not good enough for double-spiking, but now I got two
spikes
| of one of my Phals that I have had for 3 years already.
|
| Yay. It's a happy day.
|
| Joanna

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
My First Phalaenopsis in Spike Richard Baptista Orchids 12 13-01-2005 02:08 AM
Double spike question Ray Orchids 14 21-11-2004 10:09 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Odp: first time double-spike! samaki Orchids 0 06-07-2004 05:04 PM