Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
J Fortuna

Default fluorescent light question

Ok, so we went looking for fluorescent light fixtures and bulbs today at
Home Depot. I had envisioned buying a fixture with electronic ballast and
with 2 40-watt cool and 2 40-watt warm light bulbs or maybe the GE
Sunlight or something like that.

Trouble is, we have space only for at most 36" long light fixtures -- the
space we have is 36" long by 18" wide. Almost all the light fixtures are 48"
and the bulbs are sold only in 48". There was one fixture we saw that was
36", but it was labeled only for 30-watt -- is that enough? I thought at
least 40-watts was needed? And I am not even sure whether Home Depot even
sells the light bulbs to fit this fixture.

We had been seeking fixtures rated for 40-watt bulbs, based on previous
posts here. But we found all the 48" fixtures rated for 40-watt bulbs, the
36" fixtures for 30-watt bulbs, and the 24" fixtures for 20 watts. Are these
ratings really based on length? Is 30 watts over 36" sufficient intensity?

Should I give up on the idea of getting fluorescent lights in my limited
space? Any suggestions?

Currently I am growing my plants with a combination of northern windows and
Agrosun Dayspot grow bulbs, which come in 150-watts and 60-watts sizes, and
they are more spot lights. I am getting a light meter (already ordered) to
see how much light I am getting, but I suspect that while it is sufficient
for Phals, it's probably not enough for any other orchids, and I would like
to try growing others (if I had enough light I would like to try mini
cattleyas, dendrobiums, and those intergeneric Onc hybrids).

Appreciate any advice. Thanks,
Joanna

Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Gene Schurg

Joanna,

With the shorter light fixture you are fighting two different problems. The
lower wattage means the plants would have to be closer to the tubes. This
is an issue with 40W tubes and sometimes the leaves/flowers get fried. With
30W bulbs I would think you have more problem with this type of damage.

The other issue is that the PEAK light for plants is toward the center of
the tube. Plants near the end get less light than those placed toward the
center. With a 3 feet long bulb you have less center to put the plants that
need more light.

My guess is that this might work for the lowest light orchids.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
///Boochap///

hi, may i know how many footcandle do we expect from a 4x 40watt fixture?
and at what distance from the tubes?

ink.net...

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Gene Schurg

I don't have the footcandle output numbers but when I used the 40W fixtures
I would buy two shop lights each with two bulbs. I place these about 6-8
inches apart and kept them about 6-12 inches from the top of the plants. I
was using them in a basement as the only source of light for the plants. If
you are using them for supplimental light (like near a window) then you can
be further away from the tubes. I used the run of the mill cool and warm
light bulbs from Home Depot (1 of each in the two bulb shop light).

Remember that the bulbs lose their efficiency and need to be replaced at
least once a year.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 AM
John DeGood

J Fortuna wrote:
We had been seeking fixtures rated for 40-watt bulbs, based on previous
posts here. But we found all the 48" fixtures rated for 40-watt bulbs, the
36" fixtures for 30-watt bulbs, and the 24" fixtures for 20 watts. Are these
ratings really based on length? Is 30 watts over 36" sufficient intensity?

Note that each of your example tubes consume 10 watts per 12 inches.
Each outputs approximately the same amount of light per linear inch. So
while a 40 watt tube outputs approximately twice the lumens of a 20 watt
tube, it does so over twice the length, so the light per unit length is
identical.

Put another way, 40 watt tubes will illuminate 4 feet of orchid bench,
30 watt tubes will illuminate 3 feet of orchid bench, and 20 watt tubes
will illuminate 2 feet of orchid bench -- with the orchids in each case
illuminated with approximately the same intensity.

John