Old 13-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Mixing Chemicals......

For the substance experts, or those who play them on TV:

I generally scrupulously avoid mixing chemicals, because I don't know enough
about their properties to make educated decisions. I do know that when
chems are mixed they must be diluted first. Also, after talking to a local
grower who has thousands of plants, I've added Orthene to my DynaGro when
needed, to avoid double work. No problems, and I am here to tell about it.

How about Orthene and Physan? It's *that time of year* here in S. FL. I'd
love to be able to do them together.

Any thoughts? (Silly question - I know you'll have some!)

Diana

Old 13-07-2004, 03:02 PM
V_coerulea

Physan does not play nice with many other chemicals. I'd have to look it up
to see exactly what it is that it does, but it makes many kinds "gummy";
maybe a kind of polymerization? Especially those with Ca or Mg. If you are
taking cuttings of poinsettias or other milky-sap plants and don't like the
sticky sap, drop the cuttings in a bucket of Physan. They instantly stop
running and "clot" the cut end. Doesn't hurt rooting either as the plant
conserves its sap and gets a free disinfection at the same time. Try a few
drops of each together on a piece of waxed paper or plastic and see if
there's a visible reaction (whitish precipitate or overall opaque solution
develops). If so, don't mix them.
Gary

nk.net...

Old 14-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Diana Kulaga

Physan does not play nice with many other chemicals.

Thanks for the response, Gary. I think I'll play it safe.

Diana

Mixing Chemicals? Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchids 8 13-08-2008 01:32 PM
Mixing Chemicals webwolf Australia 3 22-09-2005 09:53 AM
Mixing Chemicals...... Diana Kulaga Orchids 7 22-07-2004 07:19 PM
[IBC] Mixing Fertilizer and Super Thrive John NJ Bonsai 11 25-04-2003 10:56 AM
Mixing soil for planters [email protected] Gardening 5 17-04-2003 03:44 AM