Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 AM
auntymo

Default mystery plant

hi all.

i've just recently become addicted to orchids, starting with two phals (a
baldan's kaleidascope, and an all purple one, i'm not sure what it is
exactly, it has no tag).
anyways, i've been lurking here for a bit and have found a lot of great info
here. thanks to everyone

i just recently purchased a couple of orchids not in flower and *of course*
one of them has no tag.
it's leaves look different than any other orchid i've seen, and was hoping
someone could help me find out what it was.
here is a truly hideous pic (sorry for the quality, i'm just using a crappy
webcam), but i'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what it is:
http://www.skizzers.org/auntymo/orchids007.jpg

i'd like to know so i can try and give it the proper conditions (or as close
as i can come) without too much guessing.

my other purchase was a zygopetalum (anyone know what the flowers of a zga.
adelaide charmer x zga. dynamite starburst will look like?).

i can't believe what an addiction this is!

thanks in advance,
--mo--

Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 AM
IiSpankyii

I would venture to say that the plant in the photo is Ludisia discolor. It
sports beautiful leaves, but the flowers are rather insignificant. It is fun
to grow tho. I have one, and I enjoy it. Good luck.
Old 15-07-2004, 05:02 AM
auntymo

ah excellent! thanks so much for the reply! i knew someone would be able
to help!

after doing some googling it is definitely a ludisia discolor. hooray. i'm
glad you could make it out even with the horrible picture.

so let me see if i have this right then,
it's a terrestrial that likes medium to low light, warm temperatures and
lots of humidity?

--mo--

Old 15-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:34:23 GMT, "auntymo"
wrote:

ah excellent! thanks so much for the reply! i knew someone would be able
to help!

after doing some googling it is definitely a ludisia discolor. hooray. i'm
glad you could make it out even with the horrible picture.

so let me see if i have this right then,
it's a terrestrial that likes medium to low light, warm temperatures and
lots of humidity?

--mo--

And insignificant is being kind to the flowers. This orchid is
normally grown for it beautiful foliage.

As to your other question. A google search got me to this page.
http://www.adelaideorchids.com/index...lasks_list.htm
Both of the parents are used -- just not crossed together. So you
will get an idea of the shape of the flowers and best guess is
something pink and or green and white. It should be fund to see.
SuE
Old 15-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Welcome, Mo,

Ludisia discolor is also known commonly as the 'Jewel Orchid'. I think the
bloom spikes are kind of pretty, though I don't grow that plant myself.

Diana

Old 15-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Susan Erickson wrote:

And insignificant is being kind to the flowers. This orchid is
normally grown for it beautiful foliage.

Well... I'd say there are plenty of more insignificant flowers.
There are more than a few pleurothallids you can't see with a hand
lens... Personally I rather like the flowers on Ludisia (nee Haemaria)
discolor. Mine has white flowers with a yellow lip that are well over
a centimeter in natural spread. A nice tall spike (in relation to the
plant, anyway). They aren't particularly symmetrical, in fact they are
pretty twisted, but I like Mormodes for that same reason. Here is an
impressive (very impressive) picture I found while googling :
http://dorchids.members.atlantic.net..._discolor.html

But, even if you don't like the flowers, this is an excellent orchid
to begin with. It doesn't mind being a little damp, it grows like a
weed even in rather dim light, and is easy to propagate from stem
cuttings. Does really well in a terrarium. It will grow best in
moderate to high humidity, but it is pretty tolerant of house conditions
too. Actually a lot of people grow this and don't even realize it is an
orchid.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )