Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Sinister

Default My poor Oncidium!

I bought a Oncidium "Wild Cat" about a month ago or more...one of the
rhizomes is beautiful and is flourishing, it's the rhizome that has been
producing the blooms...the other is old and weathered looking.

It leaves are huge. But one of the leaves, a few weeks ago, has started
turning yellow and rotting from the tip up, like a fuse.
Another leave has acquired a brown rotten spot about the size of your thumb.
All the leaves have tiny black pitted indentations no bigger than this
period "." What about this? Am I over feeding, underwatering, giving it
too much heat or sun? Does it have a disease? Are their pests I'm not
seeing here?

I'm not a very experienced orchid grower...perhaps I'm just not good enough
to raise orchids just yet.
Either way I'm at my wit's end...I'm losing sleep and pulling my hair. If
you have any suggestions or experience to share with a newbie such as
me...please by all means help me and my poor orchid...

-Sin

Old 17-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Sin,

What type of medium is it in? How often do you water, and where does it
grow?

Don't give up on orchids! We all have problems now and then.

Diana

Old 19-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Kenni Judd

The little spots are no big deal. Most of the thin-leaved oncid types
develop them here, and while no one knows for sure why, I tend to subscribe
to the theory that it's a reaction to heat -- kind of like freckles. All I
can say for sure is that the same plants grown in environments much cooler
than ours don't get nearly as many of the little spots, and that the new
growths ours put on in winter don't spot up until the following summer. I
have never observed these little spots to interfere with growth or
flowering, so I quit worrying about them some years ago.

The yellow/rotting leaf is a different story. It could be from
overwatering -- or perhaps you are watering at the wrong time of day? It
should be done in the am, so that the foliage is dry before temps start to
fall in the evening.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

ink.net...

My poor Oncidium! Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 14-07-2004 01:07 PM
Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 04:44 PM
Oncidium and Repotting Paulo Orchids 3 15-05-2003 01:56 AM
Oncidium Paulo Orchids 2 15-04-2003 12:32 PM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 01:45 AM