GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchid name etymology (Den. nobile) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/79453-re-orchid-name-etymology-den-nobile.html)

Rob Halgren 19-07-2004 06:07 PM

Orchid name etymology (Den. nobile)

Just because i'm a curious sort...

Den. nobile was first described by Lindley in 1830 (/The Genera and
Species of Orchidaceous Plants/ 79. 1830). I can't get to the actual
text. General Umberto Nobile was born in 1885 in Italy, and traversed
the north pole with Roald Amundson (Norwegian) and Lincoln Ellsworth
(US) in a dirigible in 1926.

Kind of cool, but definitely independent observations.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )