Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-07-2004, 07:02 PM
dd

Default dendrobium secumdum question

I'm in New England and have a dendrobium secundum that is in S/H
culture. It was doing well inside, enjoying South-facing windowsill
culture. I moved it outside for the summer, on the East side of the
house.

After a few weeks, we had a colder-than-usual night, and later, all the
leaves dropped off the canes (7 or so canes). None of my other
dendrobiums (mostly nobile hybrids, some kingianums, some junkers) lost
their leaves, just this one. A month and a half later, the canes are
still bare--green but bare. I checked the roots, and they are are
fine. I think the plant had decided to go dormant, even though it's
summer.

So, should I fertilize the plant and hope that it comes back to vigor
and then goes dormant again in the fall, as it is supposed to, or
should I leave it alone, giving it water but no fertilizer? Should I
bring it back in the house? This was a fairly expensive plant (pushing
$100), and I don't want to kill it.

BTW, I've had a lot more trouble with various kinds of species plants
than I have had with hybrids. Up until now, I thought that dendrobiums
were impossible to kill (getting them to flower well is another
story).

Dendrobium Judith - Dendrobium Judith-a.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 1 11-03-2013 01:42 PM
Dendrobium monophyllum - cute small yellow dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 3 03-01-2007 08:59 AM
Dendrobium johannis - lovely rich brown antelope dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 06:26 AM
Dendrobium Question Shell91 Orchids 3 17-09-2003 01:42 AM
Dendrobium question Alison Orchids 4 03-06-2003 12:32 AM