Old 22-07-2004, 08:19 PM
John DeGood

Default Orchid name etymology

I am often curious about the origin of orchid names. Is there an
etymology reference available? Several examples:

Species

- Is D. nobile named after the Italian aeronautical engineer and Arctic
explorer Umberto Nobile?

Grex

- What about the more than 100 "Nobile's xxxxx", e.g. there are 52 grex
names of this form just within Blc., ranging from Blc. Nobile's Advance
through Blc. Nobile's Yolk?

Cultivar

- Do the numerous "Mendenhall" cultivars all originate from Carter &
Holmes Orchids, which is located on Mendenhall Road?

John
Old 22-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Susan Erickson

John DeGood wrote:

I am often curious about the origin of orchid names. Is there an
etymology reference available? Several examples:

Cultivar

- Do the numerous "Mendenhall" cultivars all originate from Carter &
Holmes Orchids, which is located on Mendenhall Road?

Generally an award is the reason a cultivar is named. You can
check on this by looking them up in Wildcatt and finding out who
got the award. I also believe the Memdenhall is tied to Carter
and Holmes. Many growers pick a cultivar name and stick to it
for all their awarded plants.
SuE
Old 25-07-2004, 10:22 AM
phil tomlinson

Hi

There are many botanical books that give ythe derivation of many plant
names. One that I frequently use is by L H Bailey "How plants get thier
names".SSN 0-486-20796-X Dover Publications New York The first
edition was published in 1933, with a number of later editions. It does
not cover every name, but will esplalin many names. If this is not
still available, I am sure there are other similar publications available.

Phil

Old 25-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Rob Halgren

John DeGood wrote:

I am often curious about the origin of orchid names. Is there an
etymology reference available? Several examples:

Species

- Is D. nobile named after the Italian aeronautical engineer and
Arctic explorer Umberto Nobile?

Almost certainly not, as it was named far before Mr. Nobile's birth,
much less exploits. However, to more appropriately answer your
question, usually the taxonomist will indicate how the name was derived
in the formal publication of the species. So, my favorite from this
weekend was Pleurothallis muricaudata. Muricaudata means "mouse
tails". Anyway, to find out the etymology of the name you need to find
a formal description. Sometimes you can guess, but to know what the
author actually meant means checking the publications.

Grex

- What about the more than 100 "Nobile's xxxxx", e.g. there are 52
grex names of this form just within Blc., ranging from Blc. Nobile's
Advance through Blc. Nobile's Yolk?

Don't know anything about that...

Cultivar

- Do the numerous "Mendenhall" cultivars all originate from Carter &
Holmes Orchids, which is located on Mendenhall Road?

I don't know if they all do, but I'm pretty sure most of them do.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )