Old 25-07-2004, 07:02 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default Britains rarest orchid stolen

Independent Home | News | Sport | Argument | Education | Money | Jobs |
Travel | Enjoyment

Home News UK Crime

Britain's rarest orchid stolen from golf course
By James Burleigh
A rare orchid, one of only two growing wild in Britain, has been stolen from
the grounds of a Lancashire golf club, English Nature said yesterday.

The 80-year-old, purple and yellow, lady's slipper orchid, estimated to be
worth £2,000 on the black market, was dug up from a flowerbed at the
Silverdale golf club, near Lancaster.

Police are now searching the county for the missing flower, which has been
visited by more than 900 people this year.

Rob Petley-Jones, the English Nature site manager who has looked after the
orchid for the past 12 years, said there was only one other orchid of its
kind in Yorkshire.

Mr Petley-Jones said: "It's beyond price. People have known about it for
generations. A thoughtless act of greed or selfishness has taken it away."

The orchid was growing in an area classified as an official Site of Special
Scientific Interest. Keith Smith, the secretary of the golf club, said: "It
was in a quarry area and it is not easy to see or find at all. We have no
idea whether someone has done it deliberately or accidentally."

Also in Crime
Children to get jabs against drug addiction
Hobson lured twin to flat where sister died
Two men jailed for killing holidaymaker in car hijack attempt
Hard-drinking loner finds himself the centre of attention
Murder suspect deceived parents of victim in phone call

----

Legal | Contact us | Using our Content | © 2004 Independent Digital (UK)
Ltd

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Robert Dickow

"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
:

Britain's rarest orchid stolen from golf course
By James Burleigh
A rare orchid, one of only two growing wild in Britain, has been
stolen from the grounds of a Lancashire golf club, English Nature said
yesterday.

This kind of activity makes me sick. My greenhouse was once burgled (while
I was home in bed sleeping) and all my blues were stolen (Lc. Blue Boy
'Gainesborough', blue vandas, etc.). It must have been an orchid grower,
but one who wasn't bright enough to have recognized my blue L. purpurata
'werkhauseri', since the label didn't say 'Blue' anywhere and so left me my
favorite plant at least.

Bob Dickow

Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Robert Dickow

"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
:

Britain's rarest orchid stolen from golf course
By James Burleigh
A rare orchid, one of only two growing wild in Britain, has been
stolen from the grounds of a Lancashire golf club, English Nature said
yesterday.

This kind of activity makes me sick. My greenhouse was once burgled (while
I was home in bed sleeping) and all my blues were stolen (Lc. Blue Boy
'Gainesborough', blue vandas, etc.). It must have been an orchid grower,
but one who wasn't bright enough to have recognized my blue L. purpurata
'werkhauseri', since the label didn't say 'Blue' anywhere and so left me my
favorite plant at least.

Bob Dickow

Britains Best Back Gardens , bamboo care Janet United Kingdom 4 20-01-2015 10:06 AM
OT-- Stolen Dog Returned cross United Kingdom 14 31-08-2004 12:22 AM
Rarest and Most Difficult tropical aquatic plants cthulhu Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 09-07-2003 04:28 PM
[IBC] Stolen suiseki dalecochoy Bonsai 5 14-02-2003 10:51 PM
Stolen suiseki Reiner Goebel Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 02:55 AM