Old 28-07-2004, 11:18 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Ant infested orchids

Again thank you Wendy, going to try all sorts of things!

Mariana

"wendy7" wrote in message
Yes Mariana it is okay for the plants and I gave them a good flush the day
after treating them.
I remember one plant was teaming with the little black ants so I took it

out
the g/h & sprinkled the
plant. Went back in the afternoon to check, there was a black ring of ants
on the concrete also
a ring of white eggs!!!! All dead.
Still have not be out to the potting shed, to look for the name, just
had a cast put on
my foot so I am not too nimble at the moment.
It is Ortho & in a round cylinder type container.
Let us know what happens.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

GrlIntrpted wrote:
Thanks so very much Wendy. Do I just sprinkle it on the orchid
media? Is it safe for the orchids?

Mariana

"Wendy" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:49:52 GMT, GrlIntrpted wrote:

Many of my orchids are enjoying the outdoors this summer. As a
result, many got infested by ants, many of the Catts and the Catts
hybrids, those that are in pots as well as those that are mounted.
I see ants congragating on new growths (probably enjoying the sap).
Now I think that there is nothing to worry about (for now), but I
heard somewhere that ants generally attract scales and other
unwanted kaka. Also, in about 2 months I'm going to start thinking
of bringing them in, and obviously I'm concerned about the ants. I
have over 200 pots and mounts that will probably need to be treated
somehow. Can anyone recommend what I need to do in order to rid the
plants of these pesky creatures w/o damaging the plants? Any
chemicals that are easy to spray or treat the orchids with? Do I
need to repot every one of them before I take them indoors?
Assistance much appreciated.

Mariana

Mariana, There is some ant killer put out by Ortho. It is a powder in
a tubular container. "Ant Stop" Ant Guard or something like that.
Just be careful of kids & pets.
Will try to get the right name for you. It works!!!
Cheers Wendy

Old 29-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Orchidguy

Here in Florida , I get that as well , what I do is flush the pots with
fresh water , and I mean really soak them , as a matter of fact I had to
repot my Catt skinnerii var alba due to a horrid ant infestation, so I just
popped it in a hanging wood slat basket.....
Good Luck!
Todd
. net...

Old 01-08-2004, 04:55 PM
John DeGood

Diana Kulaga wrote:

The following is lifted from the July edition of Motes
online newsletter (I've selected a few passages, so it's not in context):

Thanks, Diana! For further reading, this is a fascinating study of the
symbiotic relationships with an extensive list of references:

"Ant-Orchid Interactions, A Study of Myrmecophila christinae in Mexico
Shows Relationships", Orchids, August 2004, pp. 606-617

That issue just arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

John

Old 01-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Diana Kulaga

"Ant-Orchid Interactions, A Study of Myrmecophila christinae in Mexico
Shows Relationships", Orchids, August 2004, pp. 606-617

That issue just arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

John

I saw that in the table of contents, but have not been able to read it yet.
Quite a coincidence!

Diana

Old 10-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Dave

I have ants in my gh and as long as they do not effect the plants I just
ignore them. I tried in the past but it was a never ending battle that I
kept loosing. I keep treating for other insects and have been fairly
successful at that, as long as they are not fire ants I let them go.

"Weeble" wrote in message
news
Amdro works well but is pretty toxic. Orange Guard says it kills ants and
is pet friendly. Personally I like the Orange Guard for this reason plus

it
works well for me. We use the Amdro on fire ants though.

Shell

Old 10-08-2004, 11:49 PM
J. Del Col

John DeGood wrote in message ...
Diana Kulaga wrote:

The following is lifted from the July edition of Motes
online newsletter (I've selected a few passages, so it's not in context):

Thanks, Diana! For further reading, this is a fascinating study of the
symbiotic relationships with an extensive list of references:

"Ant-Orchid Interactions, A Study of Myrmecophila christinae in Mexico
Shows Relationships", Orchids, August 2004, pp. 606-617

Coryanthes species are pretty much dependent on ants. They are
supposedly tricky to grow without them.

J. Del Col

Holly infested -HELP! Bonnie Gardening 2 31-05-2004 09:04 PM
Do I need to compensate for beetle-infested trees? [email protected] Lawns 1 17-08-2003 03:07 AM
advice for twitch infested lawn Ric United Kingdom 13 06-07-2003 10:51 AM
Daisy infested grass John United Kingdom 33 01-06-2003 11:20 AM
Bug infested hibiscus cshardie Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:10 AM