Old 30-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Ray

Default Arias Sentenced

That's an idiotic response.

I neither condone or support smuggling, poaching, stripping or anything of
the sort.

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for a 70-year old...

Jerk.

..
Subject: Arias Sentenced
From: "Ray"
Date: 7/28/2004 6:18 PM Central Daylight Time
On a positive note, Manuel, as I understand it, is back home and I would
hope it's unlikely that his government will extradite a 70 year old man.

Your support of orchid smuggling is going to be mentioned on other forums,
where conservation is more of an issue. I hope you don't mind.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Old 30-07-2004, 09:02 PM
theoneflasehaddock

From: Dewitt
Date: 7/29/2004 5:53 PM Central Daylight Time
On 29 Jul 2004 19:01:58 GMT,
uckoff
(theoneflasehaddock) wrote:

Your support of orchid smuggling is going to be mentioned on other forums,
where conservation is more of an issue. I hope you don't mind.

Implied or explicit threats are inappropriate on this group. Ray
expressed an opinion, nothing more. For you to take his comment to
other forums where he is not a participant in an attempt to "punish"
him is childish, but I guess we could expect that based on your email
address above.

It may be childish. And it was not intended as a threat, as it has already been
done.

As for "punishing him", I am merely broadcasting his views to a wider audience.
I often wonder why so many orchid growers are apologists for the smugglers,
and/or customers to them. And, having seen Ray as an apologist for some time, I
don't believe he cares about conservation issues. While he has a right not to
care, he is a commercial supplier, albeit a small one, and I believe in
boycotting suppliers that don't believe in following the laws that protect wild
orchids.

Calling that childish is your right, but I don't see how anyone can claim to
care about plants without caring about protecting them in the wild.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Old 30-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Ray

A couple of last comments before I ignore you altogether, troll:

1) I have no problems with 70-year-olds being held to the law. My comment
involved that bit of attitude known as "compassion" in a situation in which
21 months is a huge part of what's left of the man's life. That is
obviously something you know nothing about. Add to that the physical impact
of incarceration, and it multiplies the situation.

2) My understanding from involved individuals (on both sides, I might add)
is that there really is no proof that any illegal plants were collected or
transferred across borders. The original charges were of conspiracy to do
so, but in an effort to avoid lengthy and costly trials, guilty pleas were
offered. Have you never heard of that happening before?

OK. One last comment: read the last seven letters of your reply address
aloud to yourself.

..
From: "Ray"
Date: 7/29/2004 6:49 PM Central Daylight Time
That's an idiotic response.

I neither condone or support smuggling, poaching, stripping or anything

of
the sort.

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for a 70-year old...

Jerk.

You don't believe 70 year olds should be forced to follow laws, and you

accuse
me of an idiotic response?

-

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -
www.firstrays.com

Norris sentenced Reka Orchids 0 08-10-2004 06:14 AM
Tenzin Deleg Rinpoche sentenced to death Kewpie Gardening 0 07-07-2004 03:02 PM
Environmental activist sentenced in firebombings Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:52 AM