Old 29-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Dave Gillingham

Default Hard/Soft Cane Dendrobes - I know what we mean .... I think

Sorry if this is a naive question.

None of my references even use the terms hard & soft cane dendrobes, &
they certainly don't define them. I know what I *think* people mean.
But I'm not certain.

Soft cane dendrobes: I've mostly heard the term in relation to plants
of the D. nobile growth habit. Is that all? Does it also include all
of Section Dendrobium? Does it also include other sections?

Hard cane dendrobes: Usually heard in relation to Section
Phalaenanthe. Does it also include Secton Spatulata which readily
hybridises with the Phalaenanthe species? Any other sections
included?

Clarification welcomed please.

Dave Gillingham
Old 31-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Dave Gillingham

No replies? Was the query too hard, or too stupid??

Old 31-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Ray

Dave,

Maybe nobody knows the answer any better than you!

..

wrote:

Sorry if this is a naive question.

None of my references even use the terms hard & soft cane dendrobes, &
they certainly don't define them. I know what I *think* people mean.
But I'm not certain.

Soft cane dendrobes: I've mostly heard the term in relation to plants
of the D. nobile growth habit. Is that all? Does it also include all
of Section Dendrobium? Does it also include other sections?

Hard cane dendrobes: Usually heard in relation to Section
Phalaenanthe. Does it also include Secton Spatulata which readily
hybridises with the Phalaenanthe species? Any other sections
included?

Clarification welcomed please.

Dave Gillingham

---

Dave Gillingham

----

Old 31-07-2004, 02:15 PM
wendy7

Ahem! Dave, you posed 5 questions & probably answered them?
Welcome to our group.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

wrote:

Sorry if this is a naive question.

None of my references even use the terms hard & soft cane dendrobes,
& they certainly don't define them. I know what I *think* people
mean. But I'm not certain.

Soft cane dendrobes: I've mostly heard the term in relation to
plants of the D. nobile growth habit. Is that all? Does it also
include all of Section Dendrobium? Does it also include other
sections?

Hard cane dendrobes: Usually heard in relation to Section
Phalaenanthe. Does it also include Secton Spatulata which readily
hybridises with the Phalaenanthe species? Any other sections
included?

Clarification welcomed please.

Dave Gillingham

-----

Dave Gillingham

----

Old 01-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Dave Gillingham

Thanks, Ray & Wendy. I have to admit to uncertainty & confusion, &
was hoping there might have been a more definitive answer. Thanks
again.