Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Erin Out of Boulder

Default Help for an amateur

Hello, I'm new to this newsgroups and to orchids as well, so please excuse
my lack of knowledge. :-)

In April we got our first orchid, which is labeled as "Vuylstekeara Saint
Sand 'Pacific sunrise,'" when it was already beginning to bloom. All blooms
were open soon after we bought it, the blooms stayed for a month and a half
or so, and then withered and fell. Meanwhile we were watering as instructed
about once a week.

We went back today to have it repotted (we were told to do so after the
blooms fell) and they told us we should fertilize it. We know we should
avoid urea in the fertilizer, but beyond that, we aren't sure which one to
buy.

In case this info is necessary, it is in a north-facing window, the potting
mix is a combination of what appears to be wood chips and some synthetic
material (given to us at the orchid place when it was repotted), and we live
in Oregon, where the weather is neither humid nor dry and the weather is
mild tending hot this summer.

Tips on which fertilizer to buy and anything else we should be doing? The
orchid people told us at the repotting that the root structure was looking
very good but that we should increase watering to once every five days since
it is summer.