Old 24-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Ray

Default An idea for plants that need a winter rest period

Many of you grow plants that like a winter rest - nobile dendrobiums, for example - and that is
usually equated with keeping them cool and dry. That presents a bit of a dilemma for folks growing
plants in semi-hydroponics, as allowing the plant to dry out kind of defeats the purpose to some
degree.

"JimR" has found that he can successfully grow and bloom nobile-type dens in S/H, but not by
withholding water over the winter, just fertilizer. He kept the plant watered, but did not
fertilize from November to February.

I recently tried that with a nigrohirsute Dendrobium Fire Coral I've struggled with for years,
withholding all food but watering with RO regularly for about six weeks. It's growing in a basket
of long-gone sphagnum (now hard as a rock and holding little water - I really don't care if it makes
it or not), and is now in bloom!

I don't know how well it will work for all "winter rest" plants, but it might be worth a try.

..