Old 30-07-2004, 06:41 PM
R.Childers

Default Orchid dealer arrested

I was watching Kerry's acceptance speech on CNN (or maybe FOX News) last
night and there was an article on the news "ticker" that runs under the
program that an Orchid dealer had been arrested for illegally importing and
endangered slipper Orchid. Does anyone know who or where it happened and
what the particular plant was?

Bob C.

Old 30-07-2004, 11:45 PM
betsyb

"R.Childers" wrote in message
ink.net...
I was watching Kerry's acceptance speech on CNN (or maybe FOX News) last
night and there was an article on the news "ticker" that runs under the
program that an Orchid dealer had been arrested for illegally importing

and
endangered slipper Orchid. Does anyone know who or where it happened and
what the particular plant was?

Bob C.

This is posted below:
Independent Home | News | Sport | Argument | Education | Money | Jobs |
Travel | Enjoyment

Home News UK Crime

Britain's rarest orchid stolen from golf course
By James Burleigh
A rare orchid, one of only two growing wild in Britain, has been stolen from
the grounds of a Lancashire golf club, English Nature said yesterday.

The 80-year-old, purple and yellow, lady's slipper orchid, estimated to be
worth £2,000 on the black market, was dug up from a flowerbed at the
Silverdale golf club, near Lancaster.

Police are now searching the county for the missing flower, which has been
visited by more than 900 people this year.

Rob Petley-Jones, the English Nature site manager who has looked after the
orchid for the past 12 years, said there was only one other orchid of its
kind in Yorkshire.

Mr Petley-Jones said: "It's beyond price. People have known about it for
generations. A thoughtless act of greed or selfishness has taken it away."

The orchid was growing in an area classified as an official Site of Special
Scientific Interest. Keith Smith, the secretary of the golf club, said: "It
was in a quarry area and it is not easy to see or find at all. We have no
idea whether someone has done it deliberately or accidentally."

Also in Crime
Children to get jabs against drug addiction
Hobson lured twin to flat where sister died
Two men jailed for killing holidaymaker in car hijack attempt
Hard-drinking loner finds himself the centre of attention
Murder suspect deceived parents of victim in phone call

----

Legal | Contact us | Using our Content | © 2004 Independent Digital (UK)
Ltd

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 31-07-2004, 04:38 AM
Orchidguy

I forget the guys name , but the Orchid was Phragmipedium kovachii I think ,
and I know that Selby gardens here in florida had somthing to do with it as
well , you may wish to reasearch the Saint Petersburg Times here in florida
, I belive they had an article on it...
Bright days!
Todd
ink.net...

Old 31-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Ray

Maybe that was someone new?

Michael Kovach and Selby gardens were involved in the Phrag. kovachii issue.
Manuel Silva Arias and George Norris were entangled in another case in which
no Phrag. kovachii were involved, other than George commenting to his public
that the ***might*** be able to get some, which he never did, as far as I
know.

Kovach pled guilty to violating the ESA, as did Higgins at Selby. Selby
paid a fine and issued a public statement acknowledging guilt. I don't
recall seeing the sentence for Kovach.

Manuel pled guilty and was recently sentenced to 21 months in a federal
penitentiary. George is up for sentencing in September.

..
"Orchidguy" wrote in message
.. .
I forget the guys name , but the Orchid was Phragmipedium kovachii I think

,
and I know that Selby gardens here in florida had somthing to do with it

as
well , you may wish to reasearch the Saint Petersburg Times here in

florida
, I belive they had an article on it...
Bright days!
Todd
ink.net...

Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Diana Kulaga

It sounds to me as if things are getting confused a bit. Maybe not
completely, but at least the order of reporting. The stolen Paph story is
recent, while the Arias/Norton case has been going on for a while.

Diana

Old 01-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:08:46 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

It sounds to me as if things are getting confused a bit. Maybe not
completely, but at least the order of reporting. The stolen Paph story is
recent, while the Arias/Norton case has been going on for a while.

Diana

The two Ray talked about were state side - the stolen plant in
England or UK. IT is a shame to hear of such a treasure being
dug up. I am shocked that they did not try to set seed as they
knew of another plant... not close enough to do it naturally.

I am also surprised no one else saw the crawl during the speech
to help us get a fix on which story they were pursuing. The news
service is not more straight on the time lines than we are.
SuE

Old 01-08-2004, 03:56 PM
John DeGood

Searching Google News by date, I suspect the item was in reference to:

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2004/July/04_enrd_515.htm

but I also discovered that an orchid grower shared the stage with Kerry:

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=84361

John

Old 01-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Wendy

R.Childers wrote:
I was watching Kerry's acceptance speech on CNN (or maybe FOX News) last
night and there was an article on the news "ticker" that runs under the
program that an Orchid dealer had been arrested for illegally importing and
endangered slipper Orchid. Does anyone know who or where it happened and
what the particular plant was?

Bob C.

Thanks for this info John, as it is good to get authentic information
albeit one side of the story.
In the end I hope this will be a lesson to all that get involved in this
business!
Cheers Wendy

Old 02-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Pat Brennan

Kovach pled guilty to violating the ESA, as did Higgins at Selby. Selby
paid a fine and issued a public statement acknowledging guilt. I don't
recall seeing the sentence for Kovach.

Unless something has changed in the last three months, Mike has not pled
guilty and plans to fight the charges in court. He did not cop a plea at
the same time Selby did. The trial location has been moved from Va to Fla
and some pretrial hearing have occurred. I do not know if the actual trial
date has been set.

Pat

dealer names/locations needed RB Lawns 0 18-06-2006 06:27 PM
locating an online ford mower dealer GARAGE OWL Lawns 2 06-12-2004 05:34 AM
Orchid dealer arrested R.Childers Orchids 4 08-08-2004 03:26 PM
look for Plant seeds dealer Giloosh Gardening 3 09-04-2003 04:44 AM