Old 08-08-2004, 10:02 PM
J Fortuna

Default back from vacation and what I found back home

Hi all,

I am back from a two week vacation spent with family in Poland. Had a
marvelous time, among other things bought another Phal for my 92-year old
grandmother, whose first Phal is in spike for the second time this year.
Yes, I am an addict, and all or most of my family are getting into it now,
too (father and stepmother, mothers-in-law, sister-in-law, grandmother, my
mother, and her mother-in-law all either now have or have had orchid plants
already, so orchids make a nice topic of conversation when calling family
members -- how are you, and how are your orchids :-)

When we got back home, I discovered that a lot of exciting activity happened
while I was gone. Half of all my orchid plants (10 out of 20) are in spike,
bud, or flower, and that seems unusually good for me in the middle of
summer, especially since only a few of them are summer bloomers, and several
of them are in spike after only half a year or less. My birthday happened
while we were in Europe, and I have not gotten anything from my husband yet,
since I told him that what I want is more orchids once we get home grin.

For anyone other than me who could possibly care about the details, which
are truly fascinating tome, but I realize may be completely irrelevant to
anyone else:

-- A spike or root that had just started when I left, definitely turned out
to be a spike. And I am quite excited about this one, since I bought it as a
seedling from Al's and this will be its debut blooming -- I know what one of
its parents looked like, but other than that it will be a surprise.
-- Two of my Phals with old green spikes have had new growth on these
pre-existing spikes.
-- Three spikes that where medium sized when I left are now fairly long and
in bud.
-- Also my Paph Deception II is in bud again. This is my very first Paph,
which I got in bloom in January, and now that it has proven that Paphs can
and will reflower for me, so I guess I will have to buy more Paphs soon,
too.
-- My phal equestris has opened two blooms in the meantime, and it has
started two branches off its spike.
-- One of the Phals that seemed to be near the end of its blooming cycle
when I left has suddenly decided to develop the terminal bud into a flower
after all.
-- My cochleanthes amazonica spiked, budded, and bud-blasted in the
meantime, while being care for by a friend, in humid DC. I again wonder
whether this plant is worth all the trouble that it has been giving me,
sign.
-- Several new leaves on several of the plants.
-- Not an orchid, but the bay leaf tree in our kitchen, seems to have
thrived, despite not being watered and having less light with the grow lamps
off. It's definitely taller than us now, and getting entangled with the
blinds of the kitchen window.

A very happy and excited
Joanna

Old 09-08-2004, 02:51 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
Hi all,
.. while I was gone. Half of all my orchid plants (10 out of 20) are in spike,
bud, or flower, and that seems unusually good for me in the middle of
summer................................

Wow, your orchids must have really missed you!

I see in your other post that you were gone 2 weeks. I'll be gone 8
days starting on Friday afternoon. My smaller Paphs are used to
being watered twice a week. What I have done with them in the past
is to sit them in a pan with just a little water. That keeps them
far to wet for a day or 2 but then they are only too dry for a few
days at the end.
I'm wondering how you managed 2 weeks. Are all your plants big
enough that 2 weeks of drying does no real harm?

Welcome home. :-)

Steve

Old 09-08-2004, 03:43 AM
J Fortuna

Steve,

Well, I don't know whether they really missed me, since they did thrive
without me quite happily. :-)

Actually, of the 20 plants, I took 6 over to the house of friends of ours,
who already had a bit of orchid experience since they have a Phal of their
own, but just in case I provided them with detailed instructions including a
calendar with most likely watering schedule. I was the one who got these
friends into orchids in the first place. :-)

3 of the orchids that I took over to the friends are too small and require
more frequent watering, 2 were in flower and one was in bud very likely to
start flowering while I was gone. Basically the flowering and spiking ones I
added for the friends' enjoyment to make this a treat for them, and not just
a burden. They loved having the plants over, and the plants seemed to enjoy
their stay there, too.

My other 14 orchids are big enough, so that 14 days without watering is no
problem for them. However, I did soak them thoroughly during the day before
I left. They were all fine.

By the way, I once forgot to water one of my Doritaenopsis for about a
month. Its leaves were a bit wilted when I discovered this, but once I
started watering it again more regularly, it was just fine, and did not seem
to suffer any long term damage. This is one of the plants that is in bud
now, almost exactly a year after last time. I guess that we probably worry
too much about whether or not our orchids will be fine while we are gone for
vacation, and I suspect that most of them could easily make it without water
longer than we are willing to leave them, as long as this is a one time only
and not a regular underwatering regimen.

Best,
Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

Hi all,

Old 09-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Diana Kulaga

Actually, I find that an occasional "hard dry" for most plants makes for
better growth long term. The exception, IMO, is seedlings, which don't yet
have the structure to store what they need for long periods of time.

Diana

Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 PM
GrlIntrpted

Welcome back Joanna, how was Poland? I'm going to Russian toward the end of
the year [we'll be in Lviv and will probably drive into Poland from there],
and this Monday I'm going to Jamaica for 9 days! Many of my phals are
seedlings, I'm stressed out over this fact, as you can probably guess! I
have no one to take care of the one's at home. At the work place, i already
trained my girls to water and care for the one's that are there (lots and
lots of them). The girls (the workers) understand how important it is to
water the orchids in the bucket full of rain water, they know that they'll
die a slow and painful death if they don't return the orchids into the exact
same spot as they were before !!!! . But the one's at home are all the
species, many seedlings, and moving them to work will be a disaster! So I'm
thinking of cranking up 4 humidifiers, a fan and a nice thorough
soaking/watering prior to my departure.....hopefully they'll survive!

Happy belated birthday , [how do you say it in Polish?]
Mariana

Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Kenni Judd

I have a great many "snowbird" customers. A few board their orchids while
they're away [expensive, plus we don't offer that service here]; a few still
just give them away; the majority have followed our advice and now leave
them for Mother Nature to babysit during the summers.

From the last: Although we do hear of an occasional "lost" plant [sometimes
dead, sometimes just plain missing], mostly the reports we get indicate that
the orchids faired far better without their human "caretakers" than when the
folks are there ...
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

ink.net...

Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 PM
J Fortuna

How was Poland, you ask? Wonderful! It was so good to spend time with my
grandmother whom I love dearly, and we also spent 4 days hiking in the Tatra
mountains in Southern Poland, with a brief stay in Krakow on the way. My
husband's Polish has improved quite a bit during this stay :-) as well. All
together a very successful trip.

One thing that struck me about Poland is that even though it is now part of
the European Union, and the availability of goods is like in the West, the
prices are still for the most part still dirt cheap for us Americans (unlike
in Prague in the Czech Republic which has Western prices already). These
prices are however quite expensive for Polish people whose wages are still
very low.

Since this is an orchid group, first the prices of orchids: at a fancy
florists in Warsaw, mature Phals in double-spike were being sold for the
equivalent of $14, and at the hardware store which had really nice healthy
Phals for $7 -- ok maybe one can get that same price at some HomeDepot in
the US at a bargain table, but surely not for the same quality of healthy
plants in flower. Both of these stores had a nice variety of orchids, not
just Phals, but being predominantly a Phal person myself I mostly paid
attention to those. Among the Phals was a large number of phal equestris
species plants at the florist's.

In other prices: one can still have a good though simple two-course meal for
less than $1 at a Bar Mleczny (translated 'milk bar', which is a type of
restaurant that sells tasty though simple fair with a heavy emphasis on
dairy products). When we went grocery shopping in my grandmother's
neighborhood, we would usually spend somewhere between $10-$25 on quite a
lot of stuff. A beautiful huge bouquet of freesias, which are among the more
expensive flowers, cost us $6.25. In the Tatra mountains, one of the more
exquisite bed-and-breakfasts in the height of the tourist season cost us
$35/per night for the room and breakfasts included.

Internet Cafe in Warsaw cost 25 cents for the first 10 minutes, but only $1
for the entire hour. There was an Internet Cafe only about 5 blocks from my
grandmothers apartment, even though she lives in a very residential
non-touristy neighborhood of Warsaw.

Oh, and it was berry season in Poland. You wouldn't believe how delicious
those berries were. Both American style and European blueberries,
raspberries, wild strawberries, gooseberries, black currants, red currents,
and white currents. It was mushroom season too. We made delicious
chanterelle soup, and in the mountains we bought rydze -- a kind of mushroom
that I don't think one can get in the US at all, and which is truly
delicious. Ate lots of fresh trout in the mountains too. We also enjoyed
oscypek which is a cheese that is often smoked and made either of sheep or
goat milk. About oscypek we heard an interesting story:

Now that Poland is part of the European Union enquiries have been made about
whether or not oscypek can be sold in other parts of the EU. Apparently the
EU had no problem with this, as long as the cheese passed certain tests.
Also Poland was advised that it would be wise to get a regional patent for
oscypek before selling it in the wider market, since otherwise if the cheese
proved popular others would just reproduce it. This started the problem:
apparently there are several regions in Poland that produce oscypek, and the
cheese industry started fighting over who would get the patent. A former
mayor of Zakopane (a major mountain resort town in Poland) lost reelection
when it turned out that while in office he tried to get court approval for
his dairy company to get the oscypek patent. Also there is disagreement over
whether the cheese is actually called oscypek or oszczypek. In summary,
while the European Union was quite amenable to allowing Poland this business
opportunity without major hassle, the Polish cheese industry has made it
impossible to sell oscypek abroad, at least for now.

Happy birthday in Polish is "Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji urodzin" :-)

To end on an orchid note, the touristy mountain town of Zakopane had a
beautiful orchid prominently displayed in a florist window as well.

Best,
Joanna

. net...

Old 10-08-2004, 01:18 AM
GrlIntrpted

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
news
How was Poland, you ask? Wonderful!

Thanks for a good story!!! It reminded me of my trip to Prague in 1999. A
tall glass of pilsner cost .25 cents...the prices were ridiculously low.
It was wonderful while it lasted.

Happy birthday in Polish is "Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji urodzin" :-)

I think that the only part that I understand is urodzin....(birthday?)
and the z is the equivelant of *with*?

Mariana

Old 13-08-2004, 06:05 AM
Weeble

Firstly Happy Birthday
Secondly Happy Blooming
I wish my orchids would all bloom at once along with my 2 african violets
and clivia
My Dend. Caesar Jacque has bloomed in the back yard, only 2 flowers but it's
early yet I hope to post a picture tomorrow.

Shell

Old 28-08-2004, 12:14 PM
RPM1

"J Fortuna"
A very happy and excited

Luck duck!

My, mostly winter bloomers, have been growing lots of leaves
and roots all summer. I shifted them all over to SH (thanks to a
prompt shipment from Ray :-)). Since then I have a generic
pink Phal from Target in spike as well as a very fast spiking
Burr. Nelly Isler 'Swiss Beauty', which seems to want to bloom
about every 3 months.

Now that all the plants are SH I'll worry less about going away.
Evaporation trays with a layer of Prime Agra and a tightly packed
micro-climate worked for me in the past. That would get me a solid
7-10 days without having to worry about watering. Now, I just need
to keep an eye on my Paphs to be sure they'll adjust to SH life. So
far so good. Not sure how long I can go now before the SH rigs dry

Ruth CM