Old 14-08-2004, 10:23 PM
profpam

Pots in pots . . . sounds like Santa Barbara Orchid Estate's Paul Grippe. Yes,
this is new and innovative. It looks workable. And, I have experimented a
little with this.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Kenni Judd wrote:

Our view is that it depends on what's inside that net pot, besides your
plant. If the medium is non-decomposing [lava rock, aliflor, charcoal,
etc.], then just pot the whole thing up. If the medium is something that
rots [bark, sphagnum, etc.], then it depends on the size. Fine stuff will
wash out through the holes in the net pot, with routine leeching, as it
breaks down. Bigger stuff should be removed. Pam's mention of wetting
everything down first, in that case, is a wise one -- wet roots are much
more cooperative than dry, brittle ones.

This practice has been part of the basis for a system which has worked out
very well for us over the last seven years. We use mostly non-degrading
potting materials, and therefore rarely have to disturb a lot of roots when
we repot. We get far less "transplant shock" that way. And we now have
plants happily outgrowing 10" pots that still have their 2" net seedling
pots down in there, somewhere.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"James Aldridge" wrote in message
I have been using a lot of net pots with great success, especially for
Phalaenopsis and Onicidium. When it comes time to repot, I end up
having to tear a lot of roots since they often grow through the fine
mesh and cannot be removed intact. Do you think this is a problem and,
if so, any suggested solutions? I suppose I could repot more often,
before a lot of roots have grown through the mesh. Or I could go back
to clay pots. Suggestions? Thanks.

Jim

Old 17-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Leo

Kenni Judd wrote:

If the medium is non-decomposing [lava rock, aliflor, charcoal,
etc.], then just pot the whole thing up. If the medium is something that
rots [bark, sphagnum, etc.], then it depends on the size.

This sounds like the germ of a commercial idea ... what about net pots
made of a decomposing material? This could either be a natural basketry
material or a plastic (what you'd normally consider bad quality) which gets
brittle enough over 1-2 years to be readily crunched to bits at repotting time.

Leo
Old 19-08-2004, 06:25 AM
James Aldridge

Thank all of you for the helpful comments. When I use the net pots, I
think I'm going to use inorganic media.

Jim

Old 19-08-2004, 06:25 AM
James Aldridge